Zephyrus from down under

Let us all watch your new project progress.
B Sharp

Re: Zephyrus from down under

Post by B Sharp » 26 Jul 2015, 16:42

Vince, I never cease to be amazed that there are still gliders out there that I have never seen or even heard of and that have not been modelled before. I spent a bit of time scratching my head over the photographs and working out where the structure was going, but I am seriously impressed. Keep up the good work Vince and keep the photos coming.
Brian. :)

rossco

Post by rossco » 29 Jul 2015, 02:59

Looks great Vince, I like it!!

ARUP

Post by ARUP » 31 Jul 2015, 01:14

Yes... the wings are a great shape! The wheel fairing leaves a little to be desired but it is a cool build and unusual sailplane! Keep up the great work!

rossco

Post by rossco » 03 Aug 2015, 02:03

You know there are still quite a few more aircraft from Australia that still hasn't been modelled

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 03 Aug 2015, 07:05

IMG_0885.jpg
front panel.png
Edmund Schneider, the German designer of the Grunau Baby and many other gliders, emigrated to Australia in the 1950's and continued his work there. He created the Kookaburra for which we have plans and of course, a kit for it. See Cliff for that.

I removed the fuselage preliminary build from my building board and then took time off to draw the instruments for the front seat panel. From the drawing, Cliff will create the panel and bezels and send me to me 3D printed. He can also do this for you and if you can't draw the instruments, we can do that for you as well.

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 11 Aug 2015, 17:38

Next stage was to stiffen the tail end by adding internal braces. The rear formers then had balsa added to their faces to increase their gluing area. I mostly did this with home made 6mm balsa quadrant. After adding 1.5mm balsa around the formers, grain lengthways to allow easy bending, I sanded the upper rear section level before finishing with the 0.8mm ply covering. Details of this are on the drawing.
IMG_0891.jpg
This left the creation of the removable (at least on the full size) alluminium panel at the back of the wing area. I sheeted between the ribs then marked off the fuselage blend area into this cover, adding at the same time the rear fillets to the fuselage.
IMG_0894.jpg
This line runs from a point at the front to the side intersect of the fuselage and beyond, just encroaching on the fillets. This was then masked off so that the glue would not spread outwards.
IMG_0897.jpg
IMG_0901.jpg
A cone shaped plywood cover was created with a steam iron to fit this area. On the full size the back edge is slightly lifted off the fuselage, so I taped on the fuselage a few layers of polythene in this rear position to reproduce this effect.
DSCN0025.jpg
At present the edge is slightly high, but that will reduce once the covering is added to the fuselage.

The top cover was now epoxied in place and when set, lightweight filler was added to the join to create a transition between the parts and briefly sanded to shape.
Attachments
IMG_0904.jpg

RobbieB

Post by RobbieB » 11 Aug 2015, 20:35

Time to start practicing those rivets Vince.

Tom Pack

Post by Tom Pack » 11 Aug 2015, 21:15

Beautiful work Vince.......

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 12 Aug 2015, 08:10

Rear Instruments.jpg
I forgot to mention that I have now drawn the instruments for the rear seat occupant

ARUP

Post by ARUP » 18 Aug 2015, 02:59

So far so good with the Zephyrus! And yes... ammonia destroys lignin in wood causing the fibers to become brittle. Some will say they used just a little ammonia with good results but then I'll say they just damaged their wood a little and it is fortunate the structure was overbuilt! Ship modeler's were responsible for the investigative study to scientifically prove that ammonia damages wood(?)