Zephyrus from down under

Let us all watch your new project progress.
marchecquet

Re: Zephyrus from down under

Post by marchecquet » 09 Dec 2015, 07:18

Looking good Vince, don't want to try real steel tube structure?

ARUP

Post by ARUP » 16 Dec 2015, 00:45

Looks great! Thanks for posting!

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 23 Aug 2016, 11:17

IMG_1135.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg
My life is still in turmoil and I haven't been able to post to this thread for a while or give a blow by blow account, but I have finally got one wing shaped up with now all the ancillary work to do

RobbieB

Post by RobbieB » 23 Aug 2016, 16:23

Looking really good Vince - keep at it.

terry white

Post by terry white » 23 Aug 2016, 17:00

Hi Vince,
Far from 'amateur status' This is a great build log. I love it when builders show the things that go wrong as well as the things that go right, needing great thought and ingenuity to get around the problem,shows me that Im not the only one.You know what I mean,your watching T.V. but your mind is in the workshop.Your wife is having her one way conversation with you while your working out how to deal with the latest problem, and saying yes to her mother coming to stay and wanting a new outfit for the purpose!! You go to bed but can't sleep,you toss and turn with the problem running around and around in your head.The birds start to sing so you know its morning and you have to be up in an hour to go to work.These are the beautiful things that ARTF fliers will never experience, poor souls. ;) Regards Terry.

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 23 Aug 2016, 17:38

Great stuff, Vince. Keep it up.

BC

marchecquet

Post by marchecquet » 14 Oct 2016, 06:46

I do agree with you Terry .
Great craftsmanship, Vince . Bravo !!

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 02 Nov 2016, 13:27

AnyTrans.jpg
Building continues with the skinning of the wing top and bottom and installation of top and bottom opposing opening airbrakes.

Progress was delayed due to problems with the aileron hinging. The original was top hinged and a complicated progressive rotation of the outer wing requiring the rib nose to be dropped allowed the top hinge line between the aileron and wing to remain straight on deflection. Unfortunately I failed to achieve this almost impossible task and went for an easier centre hinge

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 07 Jan 2017, 13:11

You know when you are taking a long time when you have to search a long way down the Topics to add another post. The project is still under way and I have finally got the second wing just about built. All I can say is I am glad it's not a bi-plane. The second wing went easier than the first as I was aware of all the pit falls and will have to go back to the first wing at some time to make a few minor mods.
IMG_0817.jpg
One of my new problems is the method of securing the wings to the fuselage. The top of the fuselage cabin is glazed and rubber bands stretching across would be intrusive, so I am trying a system I heard of many years ago by using TENAX fasteners, which are used for securing the hood to the bodywork of convertible cars. The ones I purchased have a 1" stud with a 2BA thread. Fortunately the thread seems to be common to 5mm, so I have placed a 5mm 'T' Nut on the inside of the wing. The holding attachment is spring loaded so that a pull on the domed head release the connection. Well that's the theory over......
IMG_0815.jpg

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 07 Jan 2017, 13:34

Very nice Vince, will this one fly?