Page 1 of 1

ASK-13

Posted: 21 Jan 2021, 19:49
by jack
Ok,once more in to the breach :D :D ,this is a commision build K-13....seems l get all the good jobs :lol: :lol:
l will be taking this build up to the ready to cover stage,and as peter balcomb can confirm, there is a lot of it,
these first few pics are of the parts laid out on my bench,the red object is a nice 3d printed nose cone,l will be using 3d printed airbrake arms supplied and designed by cliff,who also supplied the nose and the kit, Jilles plan/design is well up to his usual high standards,and cliffs cutting is faultless....l hope the new owner has a big car/van because this is going to be a biggie, l had to add 18 inches to my fus jig :o :o :o :o :o more later
now lets see if l can get these pics to upload!!!..jack.

Re: ASK-13

Posted: 21 Jan 2021, 22:20
by catwok
Watching both build threads with much interest... especially this one :D

Posted: 21 Jan 2021, 22:52
by Gordon McLean
Just received this kit myself and am looking forward to seeing these build threads. Beautifully cut kits and well packaged for its trip to the states.

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 09:00
by Trevor
Looks like a fascinating (if somewhat daunting!) build. I'm intrigued by how the 3D-printed nose cone works. Does it take the full load of the snatch from the towline or does it get reinforced in some way?

Trevor

P.S. I do realise that, if it was a CW design, it would be filled with car body filler laced with lead :)

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 10:11
by Cliff Evans
Trevor wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 09:00 Looks like a fascinating (if somewhat daunting!) build. I'm intrigued by how the 3D-printed nose cone works. Does it take the full load of the snatch from the towline or does it get reinforced in some way?

Trevor

P.S. I do realise that, if it was a CW design, it would be filled with car body filler laced with lead :)
I will reinforce the inside of mine with glass cloth before I get it to Peter.

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 11:14
by jack
Morning trevor.....l dont intend to transmit any actual load to the nose cone,all load will be fed into F1/F1A
and dispersed in to the keel and the rest of the structure....l will be detailing how l do this a little later,jack.

Posted: 23 Jan 2021, 00:17
by Jilles
OK, attached a drawing with a modification how to transfer loads to the front formers F1/F1A.
This is for the tow release setup I suggested on the ASK13 drawings. Those who choose to use an other tow release have to make up their own invention.

Cheers

Jilles Smits

Posted: 23 Jan 2021, 08:54
by Trevor
Thanks. That's all clear now. I do remember being rather concerned when retrofitting my first aerotow release into the balsa noseblock on a 100" thermal soarer. I was surprised (as well as relieved) that it never did get torn off.

Posted: 05 Feb 2021, 20:03
by jack
Hi all,work on the k-13 is progressing nicely,the fus is now ready for skinning as are the tail feathers....l have included some early pics of a small mod l am doing....this is between F12B and F13,the purpose is to offer some extra strength between the root ribs in the event of a ground loop scenario,l am planning on starting the wings next week,the tail and fus skinning should be done by then ;) ;) ;) ,right,lets see if l can get these photos uploaded,always an adventure!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...jack.
DSCF0112.JPG

Posted: 05 Feb 2021, 22:04
by Cliff Evans
Looking good Jack.

Posted: 06 Feb 2021, 18:38
by catwok
Coming together nicely Jack 8-)

Posted: 12 Mar 2021, 18:07
by jack
Hi all,herewith are some progress pics of the k-13.....they are a week or so old so things have moved on a good bit by the time of posting,the fus and tail group are complete now and ready to cover,the fus is off the jig now,just finishing the tow release.....l plan on progressing both wings together,as l am fortunate to have two boards ;) ;) ;) ;) ,the build so far has been most enjoyable,plans and kit are both up to the usual high standard--well done cliff and jillies :D :D :D :D ----please excuse the very messy workshop :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ,too busy building to clean up :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ,more to come soon.

Posted: 12 Mar 2021, 21:33
by catwok
That's going to look great up the Mynd Jack!

Posted: 12 Mar 2021, 21:56
by Max Wright
Watching . . . 8-)

Posted: 19 Mar 2021, 20:14
by jack
ok guys heres a few more pics of the "13",both wings are framed up,moving onto yje detail work now,brakes/ailerons etc,please excuse my scruffy shop :oops: :oops: :oops: