• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Slingby Kirby Kite 1:3 Jilles**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jilles

Re: Slingby Kirby Kite 1:3 Jilles

Post by Jilles »

instrument panle was 3D printed. a simple layout of the time. speed, altitude and a Cosmin Variometer
the panel was test fitted, A frame to support the panel is included in the NC parts set
A cardboard temple was cut to get the plywood planking of the wing pylon. In the end I will make it in two parts. A balsa support for this planking was added at the top, contour to be trimmed later to match the underside of the wing.
The first 5 plywood strips are fitted to the top nose ares . The completes the RH side.
ip1.jpg
ip2.jpg
ip3.jpg
fs26.jpg
fs25.jpg
ir10.jpg
ir11.jpg
SedB

Post by SedB »

The Kite looks stunning (especially the dash)!! You make it all look so easy to do; when I imagine myself sanding the nose to shape, I can only think about sanding to deep and have to start all over.. :oops:
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

The Dash is 3D printed by my Son. It has a back plate printed in black and a front plate printed in a different color and was spray painted green
The instrument faces were found on the internet and printed on Photo paper at the correct scale size. The Cosmin vario is included in the back plate.
I had recessed arrows included and painted them red and green. In general I do not care to much about the cockpit internals. You will not see it when it flies. A pilot is more important
Sanding the 0.4mm ply on the nose has to be done very lightly. But if you look at pictures of the original you will see that little imperfections would be to scale.
kbk2.jpg
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

The last progress report for a while, we travelling to new Zealand for 3 weeks or so unless the travel bubble with NZ is closed before Saturday
The top of the fuse is now fully planked with 0.6mm plywood. The fuse can now be turned over to fit the lower planking.
Some supports will be required to keep things straight and level.
lh front view
lh front view
nose strip planking as per original
nose strip planking as per original
wing pilon
wing pilon
lh rear view
lh rear view
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Back from New Zealand and we are in lockdown because there are 6 cases in Brisbane.
Started on the Kirby again. the fuselage at the cockpit area has a compound surface. A timber block was made with roughly the fuselage contour
The ply sections are wetted on both sides and clamped to the block overnight. The result is a curved ply section that requires minimal clamping forces and the ply does not pop up where clamping is not possible. The PVA iron on methode is not adviced on these compoud curved ply items
As per original I did add diagonal bracing between the wider former spacings . this prevent popping of the ply under stress.
A bit time consuming but worth the trouble.
fs42.jpg
fs43.jpg
fs44.jpg
fs45.jpg
fs46.jpg
fs47.jpg
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

one side fully planked one more side to go
a bit time consuming but for me worth the result.
FS48.jpg
FS49.jpg
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

What an interesting method to pre-form a compound panel. I can see they would hold their shape over time with the help of those additional crossmembers you've added. Thanks for sharing.

I'm attaching some photos I took of a part-restored Kite that turned up at our local gliding club in 2014. I hope they help.
P1000685.JPG
P1000686.JPG
P1000687.JPG
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

And some more...
P1000689.JPG
P1000690.JPG
P1000691.JPG
Jolly Roger