• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

ELECTRIFYING THE BERGFALKE (AND OTHERS)

Let us all watch your new project progress.
chris williams

ELECTRIFYING THE BERGFALKE (AND OTHERS)

Post by chris williams »

It might be worth remembering the rationale behind this electrification... First, the White Sheet Club's rules were amended to allow for electric flight for the purpose of height gain. Secondly, those days when the wind blew but lightly on the slope, and you might choose to stay at home for fear of an out-landing, would now allow for the mounting of an expedition on the basis that you would definitely be able to fly...
Attachments
P1260645.JPG
chris williams

Re: ELECTRIFYING THE BERGFALKE (AND OTHERS)

Post by chris williams »

The only change to construction involves adding an extra joiner in the wings to make allowances for the higher wing loading. It doesn't need to be as long as the original, maybe 2/3rds the length... Out of sheer habit, I added lead to the nose, which was unnecessary, meaning the Lipos had to go further rearwards...
Attachments
P1030950.jpg
P1030951.jpg
P1030952.jpg
P1070003.jpg
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

More details here, just in case Chris cannot find them.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Attachments
Motor Installation.pdf
(163.03 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

There was a bit of a learning curve as electrified my way through the fleet: the first one, the Dart 17, just had the all the prop gubbins hanging out at the front, and removing the prop to pretend it was just a glider needed all the bravado found in a typical Tr**p defence lawyer. The Bergfalke resulted in some improvement, but it wasn't until the Javelot and beyond that we hit on the ideal scheme. All of this couldn't have been done without the help of the Smallpiece Engineering Corp, and thus it was that the prop shaft was extended out the other way, and an aluminium housing made up with a bearing inserted to accommodate said shaft. (I'm still not completely sure that the bearing is necessary, but I'm not brave enough to argue with Barry)
Now, the prop can be removed and a plug inserted to hide the evidence from even the most assiduous Inspector of the Scale Police once the model is returned to glider mode.
Attachments
P1040271.JPG
P1040273.JPG
P1070007.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

The electrification of these models was very successful, allowing flight from both the slope and the flat. The use of two of the less expensive LiPos as apposed to a single 6s proved viable as well. Flying reasonably large models from the slope in light winds is a very enjoyable process, especially when you think you might instead be sitting miserably at home. The irony of this tale cannot be overstated...Light winds on the slope seem to be a thing of the past these here parts, and it's been a couple of years since we've been able to indulge. I have now started the process of de-electrification...!

You can see them in action here, back in the Good Old Days...