• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Pat Teakle Asw 22 6m**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
larrikin

Re: Pat Teakle Asw 22 6m

Post by larrikin »

Some scale wing flex to help decide ...
Stiff and aerobatic or scale flex and flown in a scale manner. :D

https://youtu.be/0lpzPD80LKo
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

There's a ASW22 regularly flies from our local club and the wing flex gives it such grace in flight. Looks a bit droopy on the ground though!
P1050435.JPG
P1050445.JPG
larrikin

Post by larrikin »

Yep .... bendy :lol:
ColourScheme1.jpg
landing2.jpg
landing2.jpg (13.75 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
ASW22-2.JPG
Dave Mackintosh

Post by Dave Mackintosh »

Evening folks, thanks for the bendy shots ! Heehee.
Here are some shots of my progress. I have assembled the main inner spars, using some serious aluminium box section as a makeshift jig. It worked very well. I then fashioned a small cutting device to cut slots for the quarter inch spruce capping, it worked better than i thought. I toyed with the idea of cutting these as I cut the cores ,but decided this route would be a closer tolerance, and it is. The rigged shots are where I have just push fit the cores into the spar cavities, they fit snuggly and self align.
I have also prepped the fin to receive the elevator servo. I can see this will be a pain to rig at the field, so I will either leave the stab in position, Or....................... any ideas chaps? Maybe some quick release clevis? Your thoughts folks.
Thanks.
port.jpg
rigged.jpg
sparjig.jpg
sparjig2.jpg
sparpanel.jpg
tail servo.jpg
tool.jpg
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Nice workshop ! looks in doors as opposed to a shed :-)

You're learning that you need a bigger table :D
IMG_1313.jpeg
IMG_1314.jpeg

(n.b. not mine, just holding it for someone, but think it may have come through these forums previously)
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
larrikin

Post by larrikin »

Dave Mackintosh wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 21:29 I have also prepped the fin to receive the elevator servo. I can see this will be a pain to rig at the field, so I will either leave the stab in position, Or....................... any ideas chaps? Maybe some quick release clevis? Your thoughts folks.
Thanks.
Dave, FWIW, I'm mounting the elevator servo in the top of the fin with mounting access through the tailplane seat.
The pushrod is horizontal (parallel to the tailplane) and exits through a small hole in the fin post just below the elevator.
On the end of the pushrod is a ball link (see image).
The corresponding sized pin to suit the inside of the ball, drops perpendicular from the elevator.
Connection is just a case of aligning/guiding the pin into the ball, seating the tailplane and then fastening the tailplane bolts.
The height and size of the hole in the fin post determines the amount of "float" in the pushrod so
once the pin is in and tailplane bolts are tightened, the pin can't come out of the ball.

On a scratch built 25% Pilatus B4, the pushrod was vertical, parallel to the fin post.
All I had there was a 90 degree bend at the end of the wire (parallel to the elevator hinge line), with the termination about 10-12mm long.
In the elevator, set back from the hinge line about 20mm, was a control horn with the corresponding sized hole for the wire.
Connection was a matter of sliding the horn (read as 'the tailplane') sideways onto the wire completely to the bend.
At that point, the tailplane bolts aligned with the bolt holes in the top of the fin.
The sideways "float" of the pushrod is limited to the size of the pushrod exit.
Limit the sideways float of the pushrod such that it is impossible for the wire to come out of the control horn without removing the tailplane.
I flew that model hard. Slope aerobatics, winch launches etc at no point was I ever concerned about the elevator connection.
MPJET.JPG
Dave Mackintosh

larrikin wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 09:09
Dave Mackintosh wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 21:29 I have also prepped the fin to receive the elevator servo. I can see this will be a pain to rig at the field, so I will either leave the stab in position, Or....................... any ideas chaps? Maybe some quick release clevis? Your thoughts folks.
Thanks.
Dave, FWIW, I'm mounting the elevator servo in the top of the fin with mounting access through the tailplane seat.
The pushrod is horizontal (parallel to the tailplane) and exits through a small hole in the fin post just below the elevator.
On the end of the pushrod is a ball link (see image).
The corresponding sized pin to suit the inside of the ball, drops perpendicular from the elevator.
Connection is just a case of aligning/guiding the pin into the ball, seating the tailplane and then fastening the tailplane bolts.
The height and size of the hole in the fin post determines the amount of "float" in the pushrod so
once the pin is in and tailplane bolts are tightened, the pin can't come out of the ball.

On a scratch built 25% Pilatus B4, the pushrod was vertical, parallel to the fin post.
All I had there was a 90 degree bend at the end of the wire (parallel to the elevator hinge line), with the termination about 10-12mm long.
In the elevator, set back from the hinge line about 20mm, was a control horn with the corresponding sized hole for the wire.
Connection was a matter of sliding the horn (read as 'the tailplane') sideways onto the wire completely to the bend.
At that point, the tailplane bolts aligned with the bolt holes in the top of the fin.
The sideways "float" of the pushrod is limited to the size of the pushrod exit.
Limit the sideways float of the pushrod such that it is impossible for the wire to come out of the control horn without removing the tailplane.
I flew that model hard. Slope aerobatics, winch launches etc at no point was I ever concerned about the elevator connection.
Great! Many thanks.
Dave Mackintosh

mjcp wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 08:10 Nice workshop ! looks in doors as opposed to a shed :-)

You're learning that you need a bigger table :D

IMG_1313.jpeg

IMG_1314.jpeg

(n.b. not mine, just holding it for someone, but think it may have come through these forums previously)
Thanks! Yeah it's a bit of a brute as is,and I've yet to add 2 meters of tips yet.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

May have to get one of those 22s
Dave Mackintosh

roo Hawkins wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 17:16 May have to get one of those 22s
Do it Roo!