Page 1 of 1

Ls8 neo

Posted: 15 Mar 2021, 12:00
by roo Hawkins
I was not planning on building anything for a while. But decided I would like a smaller glider with electric motor so I can fly it any where glider . So I started a ls8 neo the full size is front electric system so will be scale. Was looking at the multiplex gliders but did not want to pay that for a foam glider even if they are good. When I can build a glass and foam veneer one for less. Span will be around 3.2 to 3.3

Re: Ls8 neo

Posted: 15 Mar 2021, 12:07
by roo Hawkins

Posted: 15 Mar 2021, 17:17
by Dave Mackintosh
Good luck Roo. I'll be watching this build.

Posted: 15 Mar 2021, 19:39
by Max Wright
Signed on, Roo.

A good choice. 8-)

Posted: 16 Mar 2021, 17:44
by roo Hawkins
All the foam parts made but the fuselage snapped doing the hole for the wings. Glued all together again. Finshed with polyfilier. Ready for sanding.

Posted: 22 Mar 2021, 11:56
by roo Hawkins
Some of the fuselage glassed but have not anymore glass. Easy compersits have no 200gm glass and glass balloons in stock so it is on hold tI'll it's in stock

Posted: 22 Mar 2021, 12:54
by mjcp
Plan "b" or "Plan Neo" ?

https://www.bucks-composites.com/

M

Posted: 25 Mar 2021, 14:17
by roo Hawkins
Thanks Marc. But I have finished with scrap bits of glass and a strip of carbon.

Posted: 25 Mar 2021, 17:18
by roo Hawkins
Decided to make the fin our of foam veneer

Posted: 25 Mar 2021, 18:03
by terry white
Hi Roo, hope you and the Mrs. are well.
I'm interested to see how you are going to run the servo power and mechanics to the tail plane
and attach the fin to the fus strong enough to withstand landing loads etc.

Posted: 25 Mar 2021, 22:10
by roo Hawkins
terry white wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 18:03 Hi Roo, hope you and the Mrs. are well.
I'm interested to see how you are going to run the servo power and mechanics to the tail plane
and attach the fin to the fus strong enough to withstand landing loads etc.
Thanks terry. We are ok. Planning to glass the tail with 200gm glass and fix it on with carbon.

Posted: 27 Mar 2021, 22:05
by roo Hawkins
First layer of micro balloons filler the second layer and sanding

Posted: 28 Mar 2021, 12:25
by roo Hawkins
Tail fixed on with carbon and glassed. Hole cut for wire

Posted: 28 Mar 2021, 14:13
by Dave Mackintosh
looking good Roo.

Posted: 30 Mar 2021, 16:44
by roo Hawkins
2k filler primer. Nearly there with the fuselage

Posted: 31 Mar 2021, 14:35
by roo Hawkins
Fuselage now painted. Plus all the foam removed

Posted: 02 Apr 2021, 17:30
by Nigel Argall
Great to see you building at your usual lightening speed Roo. Just a few questions: Is foam out of whole fuz or just the cockpit? If so, what is logic of that - weight saving? Would surely be stronger if left in??! Also, how do you get foam out? I've tried petrol in past - dissolves well but leaves crusty, sharp residue on glass so how do you do it?

Posted: 03 Apr 2021, 08:51
by roo Hawkins
Nigel Argall wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 17:30 Great to see you building at your usual lightening speed Roo. Just a few questions: Is foam out of whole fuz or just the cockpit? If so, what is logic of that - weight saving? Would surely be stronger if left in??! Also, how do you get foam out? I've tried petrol in past - dissolves well but leaves crusty, sharp residue on glass so how do you do it?
There is a fair bit of weight in the foam as I finish it off with polyfilier. It is covered with plastic packaging tape. I remove the foam in the cockpit area with a old screw driver and use petrol for the last bit. All the packaging tape pulls out and all the guw comes out with that. The build may slow down now as my sailing water is now open so will be windsurfing and less in the workshop. Roo

Posted: 09 Apr 2021, 17:04
by roo Hawkins
Wings are now cut and veneered plus tail. Will try to post pictures but have been having problems uploading photos.

Posted: 27 Dec 2021, 13:25
by roo Hawkins
A update on the ls 8. Wings covered in vinyl fuselage in 2k paint tail finshed. Need to make canopy and cut nose off for motor.

Posted: 05 Feb 2022, 17:48
by roo Hawkins
Ls neo is nearly finished just need to setup rc and make wings tips plus graphics. This will be the last post before first flight. Not been posting much as the seem to been a lack of interest and I can not always upload photos to this site.

Posted: 05 Feb 2022, 17:56
by Jolly Roger
Always keen to see what you’re up to Roo! Hope you’re keeping well.
Good luck with the first flight.
Rog

Posted: 05 Feb 2022, 18:47
by Cliff Evans
roo Hawkins wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 17:48 Ls neo is nearly finished just need to setup rc and make wings tips plus graphics. This will be the last post before first flight. Not been posting much as the seem to been a lack of interest and I can not always upload photos to this site.
I don't understand why you have problems with uploading pictures! It is so easy.

Posted: 05 Feb 2022, 19:17
by Peter Balcombe
Looks very nice Roo.
Perhaps you just need to select a reduced size image to stay within the image file size limits?