• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Flamingo build**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Alan Alderwick

Flamingo build**

Post by Alan Alderwick »

As I said previously on the forum I have just resumed work on the Flamingo after a two year break. So as not to induce too much stress to the air frame during the plywood sheeting of the fus I decided to produce a steaming jig/former. The Flamingo is relatively symmetrical around the longerons so the jig will allow me to pre-form pretty much all of the sections of the sheeting. The attached pictures show the first piece of sheeting on the top deck of the fus after it had dried, clamped to the jig for 36hrs. The steaming and forming process takes the 'sting' out of the ply and once dry sits on the air frame very comfortably with the minimum of clamping required ( well that was the theory and thus far we are doing OK).

If folks are interested I can post pictures of the jig and a very simple steam chest which was knocked up from a few pieces of gash ply and batons.
This is where I am with the build at the moment having completed the Tailplane/elevators and the fin/rudder. Pictures of which I will post retrospectively.
flam sheet 5
flam sheet 5
flam sheet 4
flam sheet 4
flam sheet 3
flam sheet 3
flam sheet2
flam sheet2
flam sheet1
flam sheet1
Flamingo build.pdf
(739.87 KiB) Downloaded 136 times