• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

SZD-8 Jaskolka 1/3 Scale**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Peter Balcombe

Re: SZD-8 Jaskolka 1/3 Scale**

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Forgot to add that that the wing retention tongue was also epoxied into the 1/8” ply root rib doubler prior to fitting the lower rear root skin.
This was done after a dry check & then epoxied with the wing fitted to the fuselage & the tongue held by the clamping bolt - ensures that it will all go back together again ;)

Wing retention tongue & connector
Wing retention tongue & connector

The photo also shows the wing 8 pin MPX connector plugged into the fuselage loom.
Dopieman1

Post by Dopieman1 »

Peter Balcombe wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 17:27 Forgot to add that that the wing retention tongue was also epoxied into the 1/8” ply root rib doubler prior to fitting the lower .....,
Peter, thanks for posting! I will apply same construction on my Ikarus Meteor
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

2nd wing now started & I used a modified assembly schedule this time in order to ensure that the rib TE areas were all in the correct places.
As before, I started by splicing & tapering the main spars, plus glued the spar web & false LE sections into complete lengths. I then attached the lower main spar to the spar web, ensuring it was the right way around & overhung the web correctly at each end to allow for tip & root ribs later.

Ribs were then slotted ‘dry’ onto the web/lower spar & false LE , with the rear ends located using FWA, FWB, W7 & W8. All other items that notch into the ribs, such as servo trays, flap assembly plates were located & placed in rough position ready for assembly.
With the structure notched together & all building tabs sat down on the building board, it provides a self jigging assembly, enabling individual/rib pair to be slid upwards to temporarily remove, glue & servo trays etc added & then replaced into the structure.

Th root end ribs can be added in sequence, using the separate webs 4a-4d to correctly space on the spar, plus BS1, HP1 & BR5 at the rear.
2nd wing structure dry assembly
2nd wing structure dry assembly

The brake box sides & upper rear spar can be fitted once all ribs are in place.

Ribs & webs glued
Ribs & webs glued

Before fitting the root rib, the joiner area doubler & my additional wing retention doubler are fitted. (The hole near retention tongue slot enables the long flap pushrods to be slid into place once the plate blocks most of the root rib access hole)

Root rib doublers
Root rib doublers
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

I’ve not posted for a few weeks, but the 2nd wing has steadily progressed & the airbrakes are now installed as well as the flap linkage.
Reading the wing drawing again, I decided to mount the inboard flap crank pivot doubler on the upper side of the pivot bracket, rather than the lower side as for the centre & outer - this is much better for crank/fixing clearance through R3 at full travel.

By the way, I measured my flap pushrods to help others get the fit right when the assembly is slid in from the root rib. My inner pushrod is 472mm between ball-link attachment hole centres, with the outer one being 564mm.
Once again, I fitted a spacer nut between the central crank & the double-ended ball link connector in order to allow the screw head on the servo pushrod fixing to clear this connector at full travel.
My 3 flap track actuation rods are all 93mm between attachment centres (as initially installed).

Flap & aileron LE balsa has been fitted & is awaiting sanding back to the ply profile templates as done on the 1st wing.
The hinge shrouds will again use a similar construction method.

2nd wing brake & flap linkage
2nd wing brake & flap linkage
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Both wings are now fully skinned and the 1st has had an additional thin root facing rib applied to ensure a flush fit against the fuselage rib when rigged. (The fuselage root rib was straight & flat, but the wing root rib slightly dished - so a small gap in centre) :o

With both wings nearly complete (LE profiling to be completed) & virtually ready for glassing, attention has moved back to the fuselage wing root to skin the underside sections of the root stubs.
Ply faced balsa blocks (complete with wing retention bolt clearance hole) have been fixed in place over the retention plates, leaving an 1/8” gap for the retention tab to slot in. With the lower surface of the block profiled to the wing surface, skinning can be put on. Note that there are 2 overlapped layers of 0.4mm ply to fit.
Retention tab slot
Retention tab slot
Bolt/washer clearance hole
Bolt/washer clearance hole
1st root stub skin layer
1st root stub skin layer
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

With the lower section of the fuselage wing root fairing now skinned & all lightly filled to achieve nice blended curves, it’s time for a rigging session (less wing flappy bits!) to check the fuselage/wing & tailplane skin surface levels & fill as required to level.
The skim of filler cut through with a scalpel when it goes to a plastic constituency.
Attachments
4DA42439-AB42-4174-838F-51EBA591CD2E.jpeg
7454A569-09F1-4ACB-B8AA-2B0945D49E87.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Lightweight glass cloth has now been applied to the fuselage, wings & stabilisers, with a 2nd weave filling coat of epoxy applied yesterday/today on both wings once the aileron pushrod shrouds had been fitted.
Wings glassed
Wings glassed

The missing radio set has also been fitted to the instrument panel.
Fully populated panel
Fully populated panel

The ‘flappy bits’ will now be completed (rib caps etc. fitted) & Ceconite covering added whilst giving the fuselage glassing epoxy a bit more time to harden ready for sanding back joint edges etc.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Fuselage has just received its glass weave fill coat, plus 1st side of stabilisers (forgot to do 1st side with 1st side of fuselage ;) ) so just those bit to do now to finish epoxy tasks.
Meanwhile, the control surfaces have had their rib caps fitted, so nearly ready to cover.

Front fuselage & servo hatch covers
Front fuselage & servo hatch covers
Rear fuselage & stab
Rear fuselage & stab
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

With fuselage epoxy coat given an initial sand back to remove bumps etc., forward canopy frame & instrument binnacle in place, it’s time to try the sliding canopy for size 😀

Canopy trial fit
Canopy trial fit

The brass headrest support structure will now be fitted & all the sliding canopy framework painted light grey before the glazing is fitted.
I was going to install the front canopy section glazing first, but on reflection, this needs to be done once the sliding canopy glazing Is in place as there needs to be a small ‘lip’ over the canopy joint & the front glazing angle should make this more easily done later.
MartinE

Post by MartinE »

That canopy has a great shape to it! Glad you got the sliding mech working.