• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Schleicher ASH31 4m

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jolly Roger

Re: Schleicher ASH31 4m

Post by Jolly Roger »

Yes Kevlar "fuzz" is a real pain! I've used thin CA to contain it, but a layer of glass over the top is better. And then there's the challenge of cutting Kevlar cloth...because I'm too mean to pay £40 for a pair of scissors. Mind you, it is bulletproof. :D
Last edited by Jolly Roger on 23 Dec 2021, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

payer of scissors.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Jolly Roger wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 09:23
Ooops! I'm blaming auto-correct. ;)

Now edited.

Yes Kevlar "fuzz" is a real pain! I've used thin CA to contain it, but a layer of glass over the top is better. And then there's the challenge of cutting Kevlar cloth...because I'm too mean to pay £40 for a pair of scissors. Mind you, it is bulletproof. :D
MartinE

Post by MartinE »

I keep meaning to find out what's special about Kevlar shears, I have some and they don't look any different to any others scissors.

They do the job. One thing that I found helped with cutting was using spray adhesive on the cloth, leaving to cure, then it seems to cut easier.
MartinE

Post by MartinE »

Time to stop procrastinating - wing joiner construction;
2 lengths of pre-aligned carbon tow, 50mm wide (folded over double), the ballast tube construction and cut lengths of carbon tow.

I used way more than carbon tow than shown!

All assembled into the waxed & PVA'd mould. Now I'll have to wait till boxing day to see if it was a success (or not😥).

Merry Christmas all.
Attachments
20211224_135632.jpg
20211224_144103.jpg
MartinE

Post by MartinE »

Successfully came out of the mould, without any bother. Just needs to be cleaned up and cut down to size. Weighs approx. 130g.
Attachments
20211226_091233.jpg
NSWanderer

Post by NSWanderer »

Fantastic work, Martin!

I'm sure there's been a fair amount of head-scratching, but you do make it look so easy - "Oh, I'll just design my own version of one of the latest glass super-ships. In rib-and-stick construction, to boot!"

I'm following your build with keen interest - may we use the plans that you shared?

Best wishes and a (belated) Merry Christmas!
Marian
MartinE

Post by MartinE »

Hello Marian,

Yes lot's of thinking time for sure.

I shouldn't sing the praises just yet, not until it has successfully flown and landed. But you're welcome to use the plan (CAD also), but bear in mind it's no Chris Williams plan :D - lot's of mods & adjustments will be needed.
NSWanderer

Post by NSWanderer »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, with a fair bit of experience under my belt (OK, mostly a LONG time ago) I understand that a large chunk of any plan build is in the details and the bits that don't involve carving/cutting/gluing balsa or other material :twisted:

You mention CAD use of your plan - could I ask you for a DWG or DXF version of the plan file/s? I'd like to enlarge it to 1/4 scale and naturally will share it back with you.

Cheers
Marian
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

but bear in mind it's no Chris Williams plan :D - lot's of mods & adjustments will be needed.

Ah, the innocence of youth...