• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

ORLIC

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Martin G

Re: ORLIC

Post by Martin G »

Vince,

The rudder hinge pin runs through the centre of all the hinges and replaces the centre bolt on the attached photo.

The bolts are in the photo as the hinge parts have not yet been glued together.

Martin G.
Attachments
20160423_202028.jpg
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Oh, I see, it is a stacked hinge. Thanks
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Very neat and skill full.
Is there a reason Robart hinges are not used ? The 3/16"size are very suitable for large scale. I am not a fan of PC board. It does not withstand bending that much and can break like glass.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Jilles wrote:Very neat and skill full.
Is there a reason Robart hinges are not used ? The 3/16"size are very suitable for large scale. I am not a fan of PC board. It does not withstand bending that much and can break like glass.
I agree PC board is quite brittle. I've just replaced some broken PC board rudder hinges with 3mm carbon fibre plate, although if I was starting from scratch I would use Robarts. The bit of flex in the plastic is ideal.

Another problem with composite plate hinges is that the hole does eventually wear with use. At least if you leave the copper on PC board you can soft-solder a short sleeve of brass tube through the hole to improve wear-resistance. I've done this as a repair and it works a treat. I stole the idea from when we used to make all-moving tailplane bellcranks from the stuff in the 80's and reinforce the join to the pivot tube with a fillet of solder.

Sorry - straying off topic. Loving the build Geoff.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

.................like that.

Do that as standard - never had one break yet.
frise_hinge.jpg
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

I am now doing a bit more on the ORLIC , making a plug for the canopy.
I'm doing the red and white American one.
The plug is constructed with 3x2 timber with the grain vertical for strength , then covered in filler, making ready for two pack spray, done by a friend.
Pics to follow
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Geoff Pearce wrote:making ready for two pack spray, done by a friend.
Pics to follow
You have a friend who will spray two pack paint for you??, I wish I had a friend like that.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BC
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

Barry_Cole wrote:
Geoff Pearce wrote:making ready for two pack spray, done by a friend.
Pics to follow
You have a friend who will spray two pack paint for you??, I wish I had a friend like that.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BC
Never mind Barry, there's lots of us that like you, happy Easter :lol: :lol: :lol:
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

hi geoff I wanted to ask about your wing joiner? it looks like a aluminium tube with carbon tube inside? what sort of aluminium and size is it? interested for a later project thanks ROO :D
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

Hi Roo,

Wing joiner aluminium tube about 32-38 MM. with carbon sailboard booms glued inside.

G