If you are joining, please check your spam folder for confirmation email

1/4 Scale Cliff Charlesworth Olympia 2

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Peter Balcombe

1/4 Scale Cliff Charlesworth Olympia 2

Post by Peter Balcombe » 19 Mar 2015, 22:26

I will continue this build thread here on the new forum.
As an update from the last post on the old forum, I have now applied the initial paint coat to the undersides of the wings & tailplane but have also spent a fair bit of time over the last couple of days installing some plastic poppers in the wing root fairing/wing root undersides and also setting up a hidden clip for the rear end of the fairing.
Photos as soon as I can confirm that the arrangement looks as if it is going to work. (I have already had some false starts!).

I also plan to photograph VV400 this weekend, so I hope that the forecast dry weather holds true. Not much wind by the look of it, so probably not missing a good slope day. 8-)

Cliff Evans

Re: 1/4 Scale Cliff Charlesworth Olympia 2

Post by Cliff Evans » 20 Mar 2015, 00:00

Sorry I cannot be with you this weekend Peter, prior arrangements and all of that!

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 20 Mar 2015, 16:22

Wing root fairing now appears to be largely sorted by using 1/64 ply fairing, attached to wing undersides using small plastic poppers & to the fuselage centre wing mount at the rear of F8b using a 0.5mm brass clip.
Underside of fairing coated with epoxy to try to lock in the curvature aft of the canopy. More shots of this to follow once fully cured.
image.jpg

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 23 Mar 2015, 11:29

Promised photos of the wing root cover inserted below.
I think that I might go for a layer of lightweight glass cloth on the top down to just before where the L/E curvature starts as the thin internal epoxy layer hasn't done anything more than slightly stiffen the assembly.
Attachments
Root cover top.JPG
Root cover bottom.JPG

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 25 Mar 2015, 21:07

Following a visit to photograph the full size glider on Sunday, Barry Cole is cracking on with the decals.
Meanwhile, I have finished painting the wings & tailplane and am currently finishing off the White fuselage & fin/rudder bands prior to adding the final fuselage coat of blue. Then only 2 black fuselage bands to make the 'invasion' type stripes.
I will get what is hopefully the last coat on the White bands tomorrow in parallel with installing the wing aileron servos & linkage.
Just to remind you, this is what I hope she will look like when complete. Not long to go now :)
Attachments
image.jpg

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 29 Mar 2015, 13:22

Wings & tail painting & servo installation now complete, awaiting decals only to completely finish off.
More coats were required on the White fuselage band than expected to prevent the initial fuselage base coat showing through. However, all done now & ready for final fuselage coat of blue.
It sounds as if Barry has the decal production well in hand, so hopefully some pictures later in the next week to show the final overall appearance.

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 29 Mar 2015, 18:08

C'mon Barry. Pull your finger out. I want to see this finished

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 02 Apr 2015, 18:50

Finished off the painting today by applying the black fuselage bands & touching up the skid.
Decals are on their way, so hopefully a photo of the "fully dressed" model sometime next week.
In the meantime, I can fit the closed loop wires, radio gear and see how much church roof might be needed in addition to what is already built into the nose block.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 06 Apr 2015, 17:29

Nearly finished now.
Most of the decals are in place (Just rear fuselage roundel missing in shot below).
Nearly Done2.JPG
Remaining decals will be applied in next couple of days, together with another 1.5lbs of lead or so, depending on battery used.
I will do a full weights measure when I fit the nose weight.
Pilot looks to be asleep at present but hopefully he will be fully awake for the maiden flight!!

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 06 Apr 2015, 18:47

Very nice Peter.