• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Ka6E build**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jilles

Re: Ka6E built

Post by Jilles »

Some answers on the previous posts

Glassing a compound curved fuselage is no problem if you use a low density glass fabric. For this type of job I use 18gr/m2
Using a roller as shown on previous pictures makes the job very easy. Just lay the glass on the fuse dry and spread by hand over the fuse
Then roll in the resin. Do not apply to much resin. If a glass job is done properly you will just see the weave of the fabric and that will be filled by the primer filler. The rollers are the cheapest one can get because cleaning is not economic.

For painting I use spray cans of Automotive paint. I do not have spray gear that you have to clean for half a day after use. Two packs are expensive.
With ready available spray cans you have a big choice of colors. Also I can get at the automotive outlet where I buy the cans have colors custom made in spray cans (at a price) I use an automotive filler/primer spray first and sand that as smooth as possible before applying the final coat(s)
Jus Gordon

Post by Jus Gordon »

Jilles,

Thanks for your answers.. Always appreciate tips from the pro's!

Jus
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

I have one spare canopy here in Brisbane and I am told the new Zealand source will do an other run to get spares for would be builders in our region
Australia post is very heavy handed in the fees to make sending canopies to Europe economical. the other way around is half the cost I hear. As Cliff mentioned they are available in the UK

Cheers

Jilles
Jilles

Re: Ka6E build

Post by Jilles »

After lots of sanding finally dared to do the paint job.
The fuse is done now including tailbits and canopy.
A member friend in my model club has a NC cutter for stick-on logo's. I used the Alexander Schleicher Logo and included the KA6E model type in the design

next project, painting the wings

20151206_100204.jpg
20151206_100246.jpg
20151206_081640.jpg
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Got it all completed today. only need to do the balancing act. At the moment it weighs in at 7.7 kg. I hope not to exceed the 8kg mark.
At scale 1:3 it should be fine
The COG is not far from what it should be so there is hope.

DSCF3645.JPG
DSCF3646.JPG
DSCF3650.JPG
DSCF3653.JPG
DSCF3657.JPG
DSCF3648.JPG
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

That is nice.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Very nice indeed Jilles.
Well done.
Peter
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

That looks splendid Jilles. Yet another model to add to my build list.
Brian. :)
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Got finally to balance the Ka6E. During the built the nose in front of former F1 was already 90% solid lead
Only required 200 gr lead to get the C.O.G at 100mm from the LE. It may be a bit forward but this I always do for a maiden
The C.O.G was located by means of the graphical way as suggested in the Book of model Aerodynamic of Martin Simons
For those that are building the Ka6E of my plans a breakdown of the weight is included
The target of maximum 8kg flying weight was met.

KA6E-WEIGHT-FINAL.pdf
(16.56 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
20160102_142205.jpg
COG-LAYOUT.pdf
(15.97 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Noël Rumers

Post by Noël Rumers »

Looks great!!!

Noël