• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Greg Smith

Re: Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Post by Greg Smith »

Well, I'm just waiting for the canopy and ducts for a Tony Nijhuis Jet Provost before I finish that as my first foray into ducted fan. Meanwhile, the wings of the Olympia are complete, the ailerons fitted and covered, so wing covering is next. The ailerons are my remaining Solartex, the wing will be Oratex, which gets good reports, but is an unknown quantity for me. Down at the local field I have also persuaded a member to get involved in aerotowing, so we're doing that with a foam ASK-18 rather than risking any of my beautiful real scale gliders, which have sat in the garage now for years, due to lack of slope or tug...
My wife was away for a few days, so I took the opportunity to put everything together on the Olympia, and fit the rear 'joiner' rods and tube. I'm using 7/32" aluminium tube inside 1/4" (OD) tube for the rear joiner. Took two days to get everything literally 'squared away' and balanced, the idea being that it'll fly off the board, as there's no other way to do it...
I would like to get incidences right before flying: even though it's probably good, because off the plan and laser cutting, I'm wondering if anyone has figures for the exact relationship of incidences between tailplane and wing. Theoretically, if the CG is right, lateral balance is good, the incidences are correct and nothing's too warped, it should fly, right? Do I get the title of slowest build in the West yet? If November goes the wrong way, I may be pining to return to English slopes!!!
Ha! I just saw elsewhere Peter's advice about putting a little strip along the false L.E. for the L.E. sheet to sit on. Wish I'd done that. Filler doesn't work well when it has nothing to adhere to. Too late.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

I think I should have said 'decalage' but that whole subject seems to be open to misunderstandings. I'm sure you know what I mean!
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Greg, just put my Oly fuselage up on the bench & checked angle between tailplane (held neutral) & the line between my wing joiners(which should be central in wing).
I have my wing set at 2 degrees positive incidence with respect to the tailplane datum (which is where I thought it should be).
If you have +2 - +2.5 degrees then you should be fine.
Peter
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Thanks again, Peter: that gives me something to work with. Seems like the tail plane will need a deal of adjustment, but I’ll report back.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Picture attempt.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Didn't work from phone.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Greg,
Send the photo in aPM or email & I/Cliff will try to put it up for you.
Peter
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Thanks, as always, Peter. I'll have something in a couple of days. I tried to send from my phone, and it didn't transfer from my photo library. I'll try on the laptop before bothering you. Leaving Covid behind for a while over here. Glad to see you survived at a high rate of building.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Picture test.
Attachments
F9002D0C-824C-4ED8-8058-9B809DB60E5A.jpeg
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Well, it sort of worked. More in due course.