• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Greg Smith

Re: Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Post by Greg Smith »

Thanks again, Peter, for such a detailed, clear and amazingly timely commentary; I understand completely the importance of straight lines down the fuse, and the necessity of building up any low areas or reducing any high spots. My straight lines actually look pretty good!
I'll keep you posted.

Sometimes I think I should do a build log of the psychological challenges rather than the physical ones, or a sociological analysis of marriage roles and the use of spare time... While I love everything about flying, and most about building, I also love the outdoors, guitar playing and watching 'Foyle's War' in the evening with my wife. There is a couple who live round the corner who BOTH fly model aircraft!

Oh, when I tried to drag and drop another picture, I got 'HTTP error'. No idea what that means.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Greg,
Sometimes when you try to add a picture, the load fails.
I just delete that attempted load & try again with the image from scratch as it usually works at the 2nd attempt.
I normally now add a title to successful uploads so that I know which photo I am trying to reload as uploads from my IPad photo collection all come up with a default 'image' label.
If your fuselage lines are coming out pretty straight then you shouldn't have a problem later.
Good luck with the build progress.
I hope to put up some pics of my latest Oly build later today.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

I got 'HTTP error'. No idea what that means.

As Peter says, it is computer speak for, try again.....

BC
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

After a long time away from the bench I finally started again yesterday full of misgivings, but just went one step at a time and got something done. I'm presently building up the necessary formers to level with the keels and with each other ready to plank the first fuse half. The F7/8- F12/A longerons were a real bummer: slots didn't fit, but I just barged ahead and modified them as seemed to be needed. I think the basic problem is that in order to build well, one needs to know what is crucial to get accurate and what can be fudged later if a mistake is made, or there is an inaccuracy and I don't thoroughly understand with this design what is OK to make do with and what will come back to bite me. Ah, well, time will tell! At present I am feeling more optimistic that with the invaluable help of Peter's photos, things will work out...
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Question, please!
My ply parts have a one-piece F21, which I have glued to the top and bottom keel pieces and the side stringer. Looking at Peter's picture and the plan, it appears that actually F21 should be in two pieces, and the top piece is forward of the bottom piece by about 10mm to provide a 'front stop' for the tailplane platform. Is this correct? If so, I'll have to do a bit of disassembly. Why would F21 be supplied as one piece? Or have I misunderstood the plan?
Thankyou!
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Sorry, guys! I've just seen the plan view sheet on which F21 has a cut line across it: so I now understand what to do. I wish the former had not been supplied as one piece, though!
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Greg,
I found a similar issue, but in practice I think it better the former is supplied in one piece as you can then glue it in place where the bottom half goes (using temporary packing under top edge) & lock in place with longeron, before cutting top section off with a razor saw & setting that in correct position using longeron as a bottom edge height guide.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Makes sense, Peter.
Latest little thing: in the CC book, he makes a big point about the centre section ribs going on after the fuse is almost complete, but you (Peter) and I both attached the first one, at least, as part of building the first side, in order to stabilise the formers F11, 9, and 8b. I hope this works out OK, as I know that this area of alignment is critical to accurate wings and so, straight flight!
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Fairly easy question, I think: can I wait to do the tailplane mount and the wheel support parts until after I've plyed the first side? It seems that I could, but I noticed on some pictures that perhaps they were done first? Thanks!
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Greg,
Yes, I am sure that I fitted the wheel supports & tailskid after skinning both sides of the fuselage.
The tailplane mount was fitted as a single piece so that must also have been fitted once 2nd side formers had been fitted.