• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Good idea about the blocks Robbie. It will also help keep the spar at right angles to the bench whilst shaping.

In my model build experience it is often necessary on woodies to reduce the spar in thickness near the tip as otherwise the 2 spar thickness would be greater than the available rib height :?
Obviously much easier to build if you don’t need to reduce thickness though.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Peter Balcombe wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 16:00 Good idea about the blocks Robbie. It will also help keep the spar at right angles to the bench whilst shaping.

In my model build experience it is often necessary on woodies to reduce the spar in thickness near the tip as otherwise the 2 spar thickness would be greater than the available rib height :?
Obviously much easier to build if you don’t need to reduce thickness though.
Quite right Peter and sometimes it is necessary to remove a lot of material if it's a thickish spar or the balsa remaining on the tip ribs is so thin it makes them very vulnerable to damage during construction.

I have always built my spars up in my scale models (Cliff Charleswoth converted to that method a long time ago) so that's not a problem.

m100_full_spar.JPG
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Very nice work, Robbie: I'll consider doing the other wing like this, if only for the different experience. I had no luck with my razor plane because I couldn't see how to support the spar adequately.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

First: perhaps a silly question: have I mislaid the plan for the right wing, or do I just 'reverse' the left and 'build it on the back?
I have my false LE and TE done, and am just opening up the slots for the rear top spar, making sure that the priority is to have a vertical front aileron surface. I actually completed the tip pretty much, though this wasn't necessary at this stage.The plywood tip pattern wasn't in my precuts, so I traced the pattern off the plan, transferred that to card and then to ply. Still not very accurate, with some fiddling about to do. Ah well, it doesn't affect the strength or the function, and it will all be covered up. As I'm working, I'm listening to some beautiful Handel orchestral/vocal music, and apart from being a bit Christmasy, it helps me slow down and focus.
I don't understand 1/4" X1/8" diagonals at the wing root end. On the plan it looks as if they're continuous pieces, but there are no slots for them in the ribs? Confirmation of the cuts necessary (?) would be very helpful.
Next job: trailing edge top balsa filling, and make up the ply joiner box. Logically, I would make two at once, but my patience might not extend that far. Moral stamina needed: ah, how this process exposes the character weaknesses: like a long, but sedentary, mountain climb.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Thanks, Cliff: I'm hoping Peter will reply to my question about the diagonals. Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year (given that you have sent them already, as sitemaster?)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi Greg, sorry for delay in response but am currently in a different time zone & have been away from WiFi all day.

Yes, the diagonals are needed & yes they are continuous (they provide edge supports for the top & bottom skins, the edges of which which follow this line from the main spar back to the intersection with the 2nd or 3rd? rib until they follow that to the TE from memory).
Thus the whole of the space between the root & 2nd or 3rd? rib is skinned top & bottom.
Unfortunately the diagonal spar slots have been missed from Cliff Charlesworth’s original rib profile sections, so I cut the slots in situ after pencil marking each side of a suitably placed spruce strip.
I forgot to feedback the omission to Cliff, but it will be easy enough to take the edge positions from the plan & amend the relevant rib cutting outlines.

I traced the wing drawing lines onto the rear of my wing drawing (taping the sheet onto a patio door glass works) in order to get a build plan for the 2nd wing.
Cliff’s suggestion should also work, although maybe slightly messier/smellier?

Peter
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

My goodness, Peter, no need to apologize! Your help is always so timely: and crucial here, as well, because the diagonals were puzzling. My ribs are all in place, and glued to the TE and false LE. I'm surprised how stable they are, so I should be able to cut the missing slots reasonably well. I have also glued top and bottom subsidiary spars and the lower main spar. So I'm ready to construct a spar joiner box and a spoiler. Pretty exciting. Actually, I might do the upper TE reinforcement pieces first.
I think one of the 'stresses' of this build has been the fear of doing something in the wrong order, and then having to start over, or hack away to correct the mistake, as virtually everything else I've built has been both less complex, and has also come with a numbered order of operations: not that these are always in the best order, of course! Best Wishes: Greg.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Well, I have studied the controversy over the proper arrangement of the airbrakes/spoilers, and cannot finally work out what is the correct orientation. nor can I find a final, authoritative picture to go by. From what I can gather, the orientation on Cliff's plan is correct? What I would call the 'angled' brake goes on top (I'm calling the angled brake the blade with a 45 degree slope on it, as opposed to all the others, which are ninety.)and when the brake is retracted, this angled end goes inboard. Am I right? The distance on my plan between ribs 9 and 13 is 310mm exactly, so I'm thinking that if I constructed the brake to Peter's size, it would fit easily and then be 'blocked in' a bit?The 1/8" balsa brake box sides are only 284mm in my 'kit'. Does this matter? My brain hurts...
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Greg,
You will see from my original + update threads that I had difficulty understanding how the brake assemblies shown on the plan worked - although the sizes were ok as far as I remember.
I finally realised that they needed to open the other way around as per the full size.
The link provided by Cliff should get you to the required info. Otherwise please come back to me.
Peter
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Now I see; I had looked at Peter's pictures and still couldn't be sure. The lower blade has the diagonal, which is the end closest to the fuselage, and when the servo pulls on the actuating 'bellcrank', it moves towards the fuselage to close, while the upper blade moves away from the fuse to close.The blade parts are mislabelled on my laser cut parts. Thanks, guys!