• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Greg Smith

Re: Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Post by Greg Smith »

Upside-down on desktop: will it reverse when posted?
Attachments
IMG_1423.JPG
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Thanks, Barry: I just saw your correction. No, it didn't reverse when I deliberately posted it the wrong way up: weird. Still, at least the rest of the process is easier. Now if I could just de-sensitize my keyboard keys a bit, there's be fewer typos to correct.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Well, no progress for a while, but I finally finished glassing the fuselage and am currently using my Optivisor to find imperfections and fix them with Bondo spot filling putty in very small amounts. The result looks hideous, but will look much better with a coat of primer on top.I got some little bubbles forming occasionally under the glass on one one particular panel. A bit mysterious... Anyway, I was glad to realize that the fibreglass is not truly structural, and by either gluing these down with CA or scraping them off and using Bondo, I would be able to retrieve the possibility of the finish I'm after. I think at first I'm going to get a color-matched pint from a local household paint store and see how that goes on over the primer on a test sample, then go from there. I'm very happy with the way that the Minwax water-based floor covering toughens the glass, cleans up easily, and seems to adhere to the Bondo. If I brush a layer on to the sanded Bondo, it seems to create a good surface, but time will tell, especially if bits start falling out of the fuse. over the next few months. The nose has been the trickiest, since the glass doesn't want to wrap around and stick nicely: perhaps resin would work better there.
So I'm almost ready to start on a wing. I like the functioning skid so much that I'm going to try that first: I can always make it rigid later if/when it gets crushed! And I have to finish fitting the canopy, a job which I dislike, as you have to be super accurate, I only have one canopy, and there's no making good if I cut it too deeply. In addition, the canopy adhesive has to adhere well all the way round first go, so it will need some careful clamping. I might protect the inside of the cockpit rim with some blue tape.
I had a thought about the spar, which is probably absurdly obvious: construct it flat on the board, with the center section (fuse insert) 'level' and then I can get the dihedral perfect, building the wing blade box and then the spar 'flat'. It seems it would be more tricky to construct it in the orientation it finally has in the plane. Perhaps this is the way everyone does it anyway? I wonder if anyone sees what I'm getting at? Anyway, I shall proceed thoughtfully. Resolve to put one or two more pictures, but in spit of a few hours' work, it doesn't look much different.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Tail feathers.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Canopy glued at last.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Canopy pic perhaps?
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Canopy pic perhaps? No: I managed to get one picture in, but following the same procedure, the others wouldn't work. And I got a message saying that
there is an 'SSL error' and that scale soaring can't provide a secure connection. It's beyond me...
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Not a complaint, Cliff: because of the problems I've had before from not understanding the system, I just wanted to let you know what's happening. Many thanks for your efforts.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Different method: hope it works!
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

No login problem., but pics still won't work. I'm following instructions exactly, but they just don't show up in the box.
Will explain in more detail later. Ah: I've got it: they are too big. I clicked on the little exclamation triangle...