• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Greg Smith

Re: Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Post by Greg Smith »

Thanks so much, Peter! I'm making progress: ordered servos and a wheel. I'm looking forward to doing the ply skinning, although I'm sure I'll be glad to be finished with it as well. I have never built a fuse using this method and I can see that it needs great care. We don't have 'Evostik' : they call it 'contact cement'. I'll try that and the PVA heat method to see which I like best. Regards.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

So ,I have got back to the planking between F5&6. I note Peter's comment about missing the front canopy doubler for 6A. In my laser cut set, I have two balsa 6A's and a couple of unmarked ply pieces which look as if they might be the doublers for the front of the cockpit area. Are these them? They are not quite big enough, at least in my build, so I might have to fabricate new ones. Perhaps Cliff could enlighten me? On the ply sheet, they are burned between the arms of the 'hoop' of rear cockpit former 8b (labelled such on my ply parts, but '8c' on Cliff's plans)... If necessary, I'll provide a picture. I don't really understand the cockpit/fuselage former/stringer relationship, but I'm close, I think. There is no notation on my plans at all for this piece and the plan itself is either faint, or completely missing certain vital lines at the front of the cockpit, in side view.
Oh, and I think I have to cut my own front canopy base from 1/8" ply?
Thanks for any help; hopefully when I get on to the wings, I'll be in more comfortable territory.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi Greg,
Yes the canopy frame area is a bit of a nightmare in trying to determine what actually goes on.
I am pretty sure that I made up my canopy lower glazing frames by laminating 1/8" wide strips of 1/64" ply around a positive image former cut using the plan view profile, thus making a 1/8" square hoop. I think this might be shown in the build thread photos.
The small pieces which form the fuselage side of the canopy rear (shown on plan as 8A?) were also difficult & it all needed to be adjusted to fit as best it could, as there is little "meat" in these thin formers to try to get any steamed stringers to stay where you really want them to go!. I think the canopy hoop is 8C.

The two pieces 6A need to be spaced a razor saw distance apart as the rear one forms the front of the canopy base, the other part being retained in the fuselage. (I fitted small magnets in the 6A pieces to retain the front of the canopy).
My canopy base cut line was thus between the two 6As + upper keel piece, between the two 1/8" spruce base stringers & between 8A/8C.

I hope this helps.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Given that I didn't provide a picture (couldn't bring myself to leave the workshop), you have really helped me sort this out, Peter. Thanks, as always, for such a rapid and clear reply; I finally see how the bits fit together, and it is reassuring to know that one has to 'make it work' with adjustments no matter the skill level of the builder! I have put a horizontal stringer in between F5 and 6 at the level of the fuselage canopy base stringer (which goes from 8b to 6) as a support for what will be a two-piece ply skin. This will definitely make it easier to deal with the cockpit parts. Your picture looking down the fuselage from the nose is very useful to see how the canopy base hoop works; I'm following your advice! I will soon go back to working out how to upload a few pictures to give you an idea of how it's going. Very Best, Greg Smith.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Greg,
To add a picture, all you do is;
1 Click on the 'Attachments' tab just below the reply text entry box.
2 Click on the 'Add Files' button which then appears.
3 Navigate to the file you want on your PC (on an iPad you can instead chose to take a picture, chose one from your photo library, or chose one from your iCloud)
4 Select the photo & wait for it to upload (may have to delete & repeat selection if load fails first time)
5 Add a photo title if you wish.
6 Repeat 2-5 as required for further pictures (you can chose more than one at a time but if one fails to load then can be difficult to see which one, so I tend to do it one at a time)
7 Click 'Preview' button if you wish to check picture comes up ok, then Submit as usual.

I think there is a guide to adding photos somewhere in the forum Admin section.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Peter Balcombe wrote:
..................I think there is a guide to adding photos somewhere in the forum Admin section.
http://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... 32dd63dacf
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Thanks Robbie,
I knew it was there somewhere but couldn't remember exactly where, whilst in the middle of writing the post!
Peter
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Thanks guys: I'll get one or two up as soon as I can! I have a PC in the workshop (no pictures on it) and a Mac in the music studio; I usually use a 'Photostream' on Mac, with subscribers. I'm a very recent user of the PC so I'm finding my way on it.
Best, Greg
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

I'm trying to post pictures; I get 'http error' EVERYTIME, no matter how many times I try to load; I've tried reducing the file size; doesn't work. Any suggestions?
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Picture? Ah, I added some text, then the picture and it seems to be working...
Attachments
IMG_0742 copy.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg
IMG_0744.jpg