Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

Slingsby T13 Petrel Build

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Stuart Ward

Re: Slingsby T13 Petrel Build

Post by Stuart Ward »

I know these photos are a little out of order with the previous ones, but here they are.
Placing the turtle deck on scares me. Having to get it all clamped down tight within 30 minutes and keeping the frame straight and square is quite challenging.
Attachments
1/2 a roll of tape later!
1/2 a roll of tape later!
I believe that screw are now acceptable!
I believe that screw are now acceptable!

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

I like to be able to service all the electronics on the glider. I don't trust servos to last for ever. I have had one or two fail on the bench ,but not in the air as yet. So I like to be able to change them out if I want too.
With this in mind I needed construct the servo tray so that I could remove it. The tray slots under the two block at the rear on either side.
The front of the tray drops down and is screwed to the bulkhead.
View from the rear showing the rudder servo.
View from the rear showing the rudder servo.
Front view showing the elevator servo.
Front view showing the elevator servo.
Last edited by Stuart Ward on 31 May 2016, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

That's starting to take shape Stu, but the ply skinning is never an easy process. I totally agree with you about the servo trays by the way.
Brian. :)

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

Next to be worked on is the bellcranck for the AMT. I made it from a sheet of fiber glass circuit board. This stuff plays hell with the saw blades.
I made a jig to keep the tubes square and straight while the glue dries, and I will use this jig again to set the pitch for the tubes correctly into the AMT.
Attachments
2016-05-29 13.36.16.jpg
2016-05-29 13.36.09.jpg

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

Did a dry fit of the tail plane bellcrank. All was going well until I offered up the commercial 48" cable. It turned out to be an inch too short. :o
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Stuart, I would strongly advise to abandon the Bowden cable for the AMT. A pushrod of 6mm spruce laminated on two sides with 6mm sq balsa will be much more reliable. (Or carbon tube) The problem with the cable is that at full up-elevator the wire has no support and is liable to bend under high loads, such as in a loop etc... (Ask me how I know!)

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Are there any daft things left for you to do???????????

You seem to have covered most of them..

:D :D :D :D

BC

iceman952

Post by iceman952 »

Hi Stuart,

I hope your build is going well. I thought I'd share some photos of where I'm at with mine so far...

Richard
Attachments
2016-07-17 11.20.56.jpg
2016-07-17 11.21.39.jpg

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

Hi Ice Man.
Do you have a real name.It is customary to use your actual name in this forum.

Its nice to see someone else build a plane of the same ilk.
My Build is on hold for a few weeks while I rebuild my Greenley Tug. My son hit a power line with it and brought the line down, and landed at 90 deg on the nose of the motor on the asphalt road.

The Petrel was doing OK with the rudder and tail plane installed, but i felt it had no critical integrity binding the tail plane bell-crank back to the body. so I dismantled it and that's as far as I have got.

Im looking at revising the attachment to something resembling this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 747&page=3 post #39

iceman952

Post by iceman952 »

Hi Stuart,

My name is Richard Helmich in Denver, Colorado, USA.

I had seen the RC Groups build and am intending to follow it in terms of the AMT support structure. Chris Williams is updating his current Petrel build about once per week as well...

http://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... 6&start=70

I've been asking him questions regarding his building style in comparison to the build you referenced as well as the Turkish build profile I found...

http://www.hobbyrc.com/forum/threads/44 ... trel-1-3-5

There's definitely some differences and it's been nice to pick Chris' brain about his style and the methods others have used on his plans/design. Considering this is my second wood plane, I'm still learning a lot from the various forum builds.

Sounds like quite the catastrophy with your tug plane. Ploughing in at near vertical? Was there really anything left to rebuild? The air field where I fly has some power lines as well. I've come close to clipping one a time or two.

Were you planning on having your Petrel be purely a glider, or do you intend to add some kind of power? I'm probably going to add a motor pod above the wings near the COG. The RC groups build posted plans for one, but ended up not using it since he found a club with tugs. I'd prefer to have the power plant for the added ability to go around if necessary. This will be my first sailplane of this caliber, and I'll sleep better knowing I'll have more than once shot at a landing.

I might add some FPV gear as well. I have a 3m fpv plane that I really enjoy flying. Have to see how I'm feeling when the time comes to start building mounting points for servos and everything else.

Some touch and goes with my FPV plane...

I'll continue to keep an eye out for your posts. I hope you're able to fix up your tug and get back to the Petrel soon.

Cheers,

Richard
Attachments
My Gemini 2, 3m FPV plane.
My Gemini 2, 3m FPV plane.