Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

Slingsby T13 Petrel Build

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Stuart Ward

Re: Slingsby T13 Petrel Build

Post by Stuart Ward »

The Petrel is a pure glider. No power plant, as my son and I can fly any time we like at the local flying field less than 5 min down the road. It's not used much as it's a closed tip that has been grassed over and can't be used for sports.

The fire wall of the tug was cracked and broken out as was the next bulkhead back and the wing mounts. I didn't feel comfortable rebuilding it and it's an easy build.

This is my second build and my first gull wing.
http://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... f=30&t=402

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

I was surprised when I opened this build thread again to find that my last post was 6 months ago. Work and life has got in the way.

When I last posted I was having trouble with the fin. It was not solid enough for my liking, in that any side force could break off the front attachment of the fin. This was quite likely with the size of the amt. The answer was to make a box structure to spread the load of the AMT back down to the body longerons and support the fin. Unfortunately I don't have any photos.

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

I made a major change to my build philosophy with the wing. I have had the ribs laser cut instead of hand cutting them. But what a joy they are to work with.
The weather here is utter cr@p for summer with wind and low cloud, and now everyone has buggered off to the national competitions so it's a good time to head to the shed.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

Worked on the gull break today. I used the waste from the laser cut outs as jig templates to support the gull break for gluing. They will also come in use for construction of the aileron and keeping the wing from twisting when it come time to complete the sheeting.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpg

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

More photos
Attachments
image.jpeg

gpavese

Post by gpavese »

Hi there !!

I just bought a short kit of the Petrel from lasercutsailplanes.co.uk and waiting to receive it to start. All the info here is really very helpful. Any of your there have a separate list of all the wood materials required (I mean sizes and quantity) to share ? .

Thank very much!
Gustavo.

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

Hi Gustavo
It's a great build and quite a challenge.
No there isn't a list as it depends on how you utilise you wood.
I buy my balsa from the importer here in NZ and in bulk and just grab a selection when my supply gets low.
I will say that the wood you use to sheet the wing needs to be 2 mm and as hard as you can get.
Stu

GPL

Post by GPL »

Hi Stuart,

I'm keen to hear how your T13 turned out?

(I have a 1:3.5 short kit (Laser Cut Kits Australia) and am about to unbox and work up a timber/parts list.).

Cheers
Greg (Canberra).

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

Hi Greg
The Petrel build went really well. It flies very efficiently even compared to my Dart. I think that is because of the laser cut ribs as opposed to hand cut and badly sanded ribs of my Dart.
Attachments
U.JPG
L.JPG
IMG_2993.JPG