Slingsby T13 Petrel Build

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Stuart Ward

Re: Slingsby T13 Petrel Build

Post by Stuart Ward » 18 Jul 2016, 04:42

Hi Ice Man.
Do you have a real name.It is customary to use your actual name in this forum.

Its nice to see someone else build a plane of the same ilk.
My Build is on hold for a few weeks while I rebuild my Greenley Tug. My son hit a power line with it and brought the line down, and landed at 90 deg on the nose of the motor on the asphalt road.

The Petrel was doing OK with the rudder and tail plane installed, but i felt it had no critical integrity binding the tail plane bell-crank back to the body. so I dismantled it and that's as far as I have got.

Im looking at revising the attachment to something resembling this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 747&page=3 post #39

iceman952

Post by iceman952 » 18 Jul 2016, 07:42

Hi Stuart,

My name is Richard Helmich in Denver, Colorado, USA.

I had seen the RC Groups build and am intending to follow it in terms of the AMT support structure. Chris Williams is updating his current Petrel build about once per week as well...

http://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... 6&start=70

I've been asking him questions regarding his building style in comparison to the build you referenced as well as the Turkish build profile I found...

http://www.hobbyrc.com/forum/threads/44 ... trel-1-3-5

There's definitely some differences and it's been nice to pick Chris' brain about his style and the methods others have used on his plans/design. Considering this is my second wood plane, I'm still learning a lot from the various forum builds.

Sounds like quite the catastrophy with your tug plane. Ploughing in at near vertical? Was there really anything left to rebuild? The air field where I fly has some power lines as well. I've come close to clipping one a time or two.

Were you planning on having your Petrel be purely a glider, or do you intend to add some kind of power? I'm probably going to add a motor pod above the wings near the COG. The RC groups build posted plans for one, but ended up not using it since he found a club with tugs. I'd prefer to have the power plant for the added ability to go around if necessary. This will be my first sailplane of this caliber, and I'll sleep better knowing I'll have more than once shot at a landing.

I might add some FPV gear as well. I have a 3m fpv plane that I really enjoy flying. Have to see how I'm feeling when the time comes to start building mounting points for servos and everything else.

Some touch and goes with my FPV plane...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-YhZ7D-DkU

I'll continue to keep an eye out for your posts. I hope you're able to fix up your tug and get back to the Petrel soon.

Cheers,

Richard
Attachments
SmallFinished.jpg
My Gemini 2, 3m FPV plane.

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward » 18 Jul 2016, 08:23

The Petrel is a pure glider. No power plant, as my son and I can fly any time we like at the local flying field less than 5 min down the road. It's not used much as it's a closed tip that has been grassed over and can't be used for sports.

The fire wall of the tug was cracked and broken out as was the next bulkhead back and the wing mounts. I didn't feel comfortable rebuilding it and it's an easy build.

This is my second build and my first gull wing.
http://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... f=30&t=402

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward » 02 Jan 2017, 02:39

I was surprised when I opened this build thread again to find that my last post was 6 months ago. Work and life has got in the way.

When I last posted I was having trouble with the fin. It was not solid enough for my liking, in that any side force could break off the front attachment of the fin. This was quite likely with the size of the amt. The answer was to make a box structure to spread the load of the AMT back down to the body longerons and support the fin. Unfortunately I don't have any photos.

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward » 02 Jan 2017, 03:27

I made a major change to my build philosophy with the wing. I have had the ribs laser cut instead of hand cutting them. But what a joy they are to work with.
The weather here is utter cr@p for summer with wind and low cloud, and now everyone has buggered off to the national competitions so it's a good time to head to the shed.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward » 03 Jan 2017, 04:18

Worked on the gull break today. I used the waste from the laser cut outs as jig templates to support the gull break for gluing. They will also come in use for construction of the aileron and keeping the wing from twisting when it come time to complete the sheeting.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpg

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward » 03 Jan 2017, 05:23

More photos
Attachments
image.jpeg

gpavese

Post by gpavese » 13 Jan 2017, 15:43

Hi there !!

I just bought a short kit of the Petrel from lasercutsailplanes.co.uk and waiting to receive it to start. All the info here is really very helpful. Any of your there have a separate list of all the wood materials required (I mean sizes and quantity) to share ? .

Thank very much!
Gustavo.

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward » 13 Jan 2017, 16:11

Hi Gustavo
It's a great build and quite a challenge.
No there isn't a list as it depends on how you utilise you wood.
I buy my balsa from the importer here in NZ and in bulk and just grab a selection when my supply gets low.
I will say that the wood you use to sheet the wing needs to be 2 mm and as hard as you can get.
Stu

GPL

Post by GPL » 30 Dec 2018, 05:42

Hi Stuart,

I'm keen to hear how your T13 turned out?

(I have a 1:3.5 short kit (Laser Cut Kits Australia) and am about to unbox and work up a timber/parts list.).

Cheers
Greg (Canberra).