Teakle ASW 20 3.5/1

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Martin Church

Teakle ASW 20 3.5/1

Post by Martin Church » 02 Jun 2016, 18:26

Hi guys I'm slacking with my build of this kit from the new manufacturer.
Seems every time I hit a hurdle it goes to the back of the modelling room till I find a solution.
My latest headache is trying to get the canopy trimmed to perfection. Initially I made a ply base plate & fretted the centre out within around 1/2" of the glazing. I then tried hot gluing the canopy to this but it ended up a mess so I had to rip it all off & start again.
So it's back in the corner sulking again. Anyone any ideas on how best to frame the canopy so I can hinge it as the full size is hinged. I'm not going absolute scale with the rest of it but I'd like to get at least the cockpit & canopy looking good.
Martin

B Sharp

Re: Teakle ASW 20 3.5/1

Post by B Sharp » 02 Jun 2016, 19:50

Hi Martin, perhaps some of my images may be of use to you. When I started on the canopy and frame I quickly decided that a plywood frame was not going to get the best fit. I decided to make a glass fiber frame which turned out to me much easier than I had thought. I covered the whole canopy opening with brown parcel tape the applied glass cloth, chopped strand mat and epoxy till I had a depth approximating 1/4 inch. I started with fine glass cloth and the final layer was the same. Once dry it cracked off easily and was then cut and sanded down to shape. The finished frame fits the fuselage perfectly.
I usually fix my canopies to my frames with evostik contact adhesive. You have to be careful to get the canopy in the right place, but once stuck it is there for good.
Brian. :)
Attachments
ASW 20_59.jpg
The basic lay-up onto the fuselage.
ASW 20_60.jpg
The set moulding separated from the fuselage and ready for trimming.
ASW 20_61.jpg
The frame after trimming.
ASW 20_62.jpg
The trimmed frame fitted to the fuselage.
ASW 20_63.jpg
The frame fitted to the fuselage with the fancy bits added.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 02 Jun 2016, 20:03

That sounds like a good method to me Brian.
You are never going to achieve a good fit between a flat ply frame and the slightly curved fuselage canopy frame.
I have always had a small gap under the middle of my PT ASW20 & Vega frames.
I will try the glass cloth method the next time I have a canopy to make on a fuselage like the PT range.
I have always used white canopy glue to attach the glazing as it dries clear, but am not sure how well it sticks to epoxy glass.

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 02 Jun 2016, 20:38

Hi Brian that sounds a better solution
where did you get the materials from?
Martin

roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins » 02 Jun 2016, 21:51

Last edited by roo Hawkins on 02 Jun 2016, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 02 Jun 2016, 21:53

Cheers Roo.

roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins » 02 Jun 2016, 22:00

Hi again I all ways make my canopy frame in a sandwich method . a layer of carbon or glass cloth and epoxy and then a layer of balsa or PVC foam and then a layer of glass cloth again. It stops the frame fro flexing and is a lot stronger. ROO :D

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 02 Jun 2016, 22:19

Hi Martin, I have used East Coast Fibreglass Supplies for glass cloth and epoxy resins. They can supply all manner of glass cloth in a variety of weaves and weights. They also supply SP epoxy resin which is perfect for modelling use.
Right now I can’t remember whether I cast up the canopy frame in epoxy resin or polyester resin, to be honest either would work well. However epoxy resin takes longer to set off and the finished product retains a little flexibility. If I used polyester I almost definitely bought it and the chopped strand mat in Halfords.
By the way I was serious about using brown parcel tape as a release coating to cover the area of the fuselage that you are moulding over. Absolutely nothing seems to stick to brown parcel tape other than more brown parcel tape.
Brian. :)

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 02 Jun 2016, 22:22

Cheers Brian
Thanks to everyone for your input
I feel a little more confident to get stuck in
Pardon the pun.
Martin

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 02 Jun 2016, 22:37

Martin states in his post "Hi guys I'm slacking with my build of this kit from the new manufacturer."

I must add that this is not me!