If you are joining, please check your spam folder for confirmation email

Teakle ASW 20 3.5/1

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Martin Church

Re: Teakle ASW 20 3.5/1

Post by Martin Church » 07 Jun 2016, 13:13

Cliff Evans wrote:Martin states in his post "Hi guys I'm slacking with my build of this kit from the new manufacturer."

I must add that this is not me!
No I bought mine from Will a while ago Cliff.
The previous new owner to the new owner.
Any encouragement is welcome though :)
Sorry for any confusion I wasn't aware at the time of my post that the business had been re sold.
Regards
Martin

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 07 Jun 2016, 17:38

Did you get the epoxy wings or the latex?

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 07 Jun 2016, 18:19

I bought the vac bagged wing cliff & very impressive it is.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 07 Jun 2016, 19:37

Yes, they are very good.

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 13 Jun 2016, 18:21

Hi again guys as I've never built anything quite like this Could anyone help me with a method of getting the leading edge to the correct section?
I spoke to pat on Sunday & he told me the section was a Ritz 3 but how I go about making templates to ensure the correct section at the front I havent a scooby doo! I have rough shaped them with a davids razor plane & a sanding block but need to finish them to correct profile.
Pictures attached.
Anyone have a complete idiot proof way of acheiving this?
Thanks very much in advance.
Martin Church
Attachments
IMG_1408[1].JPG

RobbieB

Post by RobbieB » 13 Jun 2016, 22:45

Martin, to have a super accurate LE on a scale sailplane is probably not necessary. Yes, the most critical part of any working aerofoil but at these scales, these flying speeds and the required flight characteristics you are unlikely to notice any difference as a consequence of slight variations in the form.

What is important, to get the best out of the selected aerofoil is to ensure the entry level point (the actual position of the LE point) is in the correct position and consistent throughout the span. This will also, to a large degree, determine the smooth transition around the LE from top to bottom.

My method of ensuring this is to draw a line in the correct position on the LE material the full length of the wing and make sure that it remains visible all the way through the planing and sanding phase right up to the final fine grade sandpaper stage.

If you are flying in F3F, F3B etc at the very highest level then that might be a different kettle of fish altogether but on your present model I think accuracy of that degree will matter not a jot.

If you need a copy of the Ritz profile under normal circumstances I could whizz one over to you but unfortunately I'm on my jollies at the moment and I don't have a copy of my aerofoil programme on the laptop - perhaps someone else can come up with one in the meantime but I think there should be some other numbers after the 3, something like Ritz 3-30-10.

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 14 Jun 2016, 07:42

Thanks Robbie
Is my best bet then to take the profile from the fuselage root profile & shrink it down to the chord at the tip? This may give me a centre line I can work to.
Regards Martin

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 14 Jun 2016, 08:42

Here is the section that Robbie talks about.
Attachments
ritz 3 30 10.pdf
(4.26 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 14 Jun 2016, 08:58

Thanks Cliff
Can I scale that up & down on a printer to get the chord or doesn't it work that way?

RobbieB

Post by RobbieB » 14 Jun 2016, 09:17

Martin,

Pat will surely have made the root moulding on the fuz to match the wing aerofoil so that would a good way to go.

A few words of caution. The aerofoil I stated in the earlier post was only an example of Ritz nomenclature and not necessarily the one on the ASW - in fact I think it rather unlikely for Pat to have chosen one to be that thin as shown in Cliff's drawing above. I've never used the Ritz section so I'm not familiar with the numbers but I'm guessing the first one is the camber, the second is either the point of maximum camber or thickness and the third the percentage thickness. Perhaps someone can put me right on those. Again I would guess it might be something more like Ritz 3-30-12 or14 perhaps.

Also, Pat may have changed the section towards the tip and that could change the entry point so best check on that.

Cliff might have more info on all of this.