Teakle ASW 20 3.5/1

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Martin Church

Re: Teakle ASW 20 3.5/1

Post by Martin Church » 14 Jun 2016, 09:26

Thanks to you both for replying.
I will do a little more digging.
Maybe I need to get win foil & my graph paper out.
Martin

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 14 Jun 2016, 18:02

Martin,
I have just spoken to Pat who confirms that both the Vega and ASW20 used the Ritz 3.0 section, but he can't remember the thickness numbers.
Anyway, I wouldn't get too hung up about this as you will be fine if you do what Robbie suggested & draw a line down the LE where the nose line is, rough back & sand to profile by eye, using the wing core profiles as a guide.
That is what I did, & Pat did exactly the same.
My 20 flies very nicely without having checked the profile accuracy.
Hope you get it flying soon.
Peter

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 14 Jun 2016, 18:31

Ok cheers peter I did see pat Sunday when I visited to pay my membership. Hopefully may see you up there sometime soon.

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 18 Jun 2016, 21:17

It's been a productive week.
One wing with leading edge now shaped airbrake in & capped & all aileron & flap faces capped. Need to add wing tip block & shape. I'm going to leave it full span 190" & mock up the extension join. I am however unsure if I need to glass these wings or not. They are the epoxy vac bagged wings but I will be flying it from crooks peak so I need a very durable finish. So tonight I've picked up the other wing & attached the Ramin leading edge.
One thing is for sure this is a big old Glider. I realised this after picking up a 1/4 Pik 20 on Friday & with both fuselages together it certainly shows its size.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 19 Jun 2016, 00:25

I would recommend that you glass them.

terry white

Post by terry white » 19 Jun 2016, 13:55

Hi Martin, You cant beat a glass finish for good all round strength and durability, especially if you are flying on the Mynd with all that heather farmed on the landing area. Thats like landing a full size in the forest. :lol:

Tell me was a glass membrane installed during the vac-bag process? If not then don't think twice, definitely glass them. :roll:

The Mark 1 Alpina used the Ritz 2 section to great appeal. A good all-rounder, thermal's well if given a chance. It went out of fashion in the 90s as it is not a particular fast section with its high camber. Speed between thermals was the in thing making way for the thinner sections. These such as the R.G 15s etc.could be flapped to create the camber needed for thermalling, or set clean or reflexes for speed.These are much more controllable sections for the present day machines.
However as I say the Ritz 3 section was well thought of and I would say ideal for the ASW 20.

See you and the model on the mynd shortly at the scale fly in. ;) Regards Terry.

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 19 Jun 2016, 18:03

As far as I know they have a glass cloth skin under the veneer. Well I hope they do as it would have been rather daft to vac bag them if they didn't & not sure what benefit there is over epoxy as a bonding agent rather than latex?
No doubt someone may know the answer to that question.
Martin

ChrisGordon

Post by ChrisGordon » 19 Jun 2016, 18:27

I recently bought a pair of the posh epoxied wings for my Vega and the guy at Cloud models said just Profilm them
:)

roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins » 19 Jun 2016, 19:05

Terry is right glass finish is best and more hardwareing. But I have just started to use vinyl that is used on signs. It is cheaper than profile at £ 9 for 5 meters and is thicker. Is easy to apply but is not heat shrink. I have been very pleased with the finish and has been harder wareing than film. Brian Sharp has used it for is pt asw20 and I think he was also pleased with it. ROO :D

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 19 Jun 2016, 19:21

Martin,
I would also advise a glassed surface for use on Crook Peak and any other potential flying site which has a good dose of gorse, bramble & other spiky growth around. Rocks also seem to pop out of the ground just as you are landing!
Otherwise the outer balsa covering will be subject to local puncture/crushIng and any film type covering would allow easier penetration of the various barbs.
On top of that, any scuff marks are easily polished out or retouched.
I used lightweight (15/17gsm) cloth with Bucks Composites resin, which is dead easy to apply with a 2" foam roller as recommended in their 'how-to' guide as found on their website. I couldn't get on at all with the thicker resins available elsewhere.
Attachments
image.jpeg
ASW20 maiden at Crook Peak