Anyone wishing to register, once you have, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER for the confirmation email. {And please, if possible can you use your real names! there are far too many numbers and silly titles being used}

Teakle ASW 20 3.5/1

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Martin Church

Re: Teakle ASW 20 3.5/1

Post by Martin Church » 16 Aug 2016, 12:25

As much as I am in awe of all you guys with your modelling skills it leaves me completely cold having to do hand finishing with dust & sweat to contend with.
I'm not a natural at balsa bashing. At school wood working didn't apeal due to its nature of being to damned easy to take off too much material & make an arse of myself. I then turned to metal working! literally as I'm now a professional Cnc programmer setter & operator of all things lathe shaped. I tend to get by only by the love of the finished form & the flying of these woks of art.
Also to add most of my projects end up in the for sale section half finished :(

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 16 Aug 2016, 15:04

To quote Mr Williams, Perfection is the enemy of progress.....

BC

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 03 Sep 2016, 22:18

I have just made a start on making a new canopy frame using a GRP & balsa sandwich.
This may not go fully to plan, but the first steps were to cover the fuselage canopy opening in shiny surface adhesive tape (like parcel tape but yellow in this case) edged with masking tape to protect the adjacent fuselage sides from epoxy runs.
I then applied two layers of 200g cloth (that is what I had available) followed so far by a layer of 1/16" balsa all around.
I decided against putting cloth all the way across the opening as I wanted to be able to clamp the balsa layer to the fuselage whilst the epoxy cured, thus these initial layers are only a little wider than the fuselage coaming.
Once this has cured, I will see how easy it is to release from the tape.
The intention is to add another couple of glass cloth layers, then another layer of balsa, followed by a final layer of cloth to make the overall thickness just over 1/8" before I clean up the frame.
I will see how it goes.
Attachments
image.jpeg
GRP canopy frame 1st step

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 05 Sep 2016, 20:15

Have just released the GRP/balsa sandwich canopy frame from the fuselage & found that it came away nice & cleanly once I had cleared a few coaming under hangs.
So ... Tape removed from the fuselage & sticky tape residues cleaned off.
Cut off most of excess glass cloth/balsa sandwich whilst the frame still attached to the fuselage. This removed all of the non wetted out cloth and most of the still 'green' latest layers back to within a few mm of the inner & outer fuselage edges. (I had already trimmed back the initial cloth/balsa layer when this was 'green'.
Photos below show frame in place and out of fuselage.
Next job is to clean up the frame to get outer edge a little set back from the fuselage edge, ready for glazing, then clean up the inner edges & add bases for 1/2 body pilot figure & instrument panel/binnacle.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Roughly shaped frame in place
image.jpeg
New frame released

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 05 Sep 2016, 21:08

That's looking good Pete that's definitely the way to go.
I'm guessing the base is snug to the inner lip of the canopy bay. Mine overhangs over quarter of an inch but I can't cut it back as it is.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 05 Sep 2016, 21:22

Martin,
Yes the inner frame edge is intended to be pretty much at the inner fuselage edge, using a little bit of a lip in the first glass layers (where I tried to get it to hang down over the edge) to act as a sideways locator for the frame.
I will try to retain this, but otherwise hope to be able to use more or less the full inner width to accommodate my pilot figure.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 06 Sep 2016, 16:06

Canopy frame now tidied up and inner edge trimmed to be as for fuselage lip all around. (I don't really want to reduce the width of this lip as it helps stiffen the fuselage canopy opening aperture. If I reduced it then I think some alternative stiffening would be prudent).
Locating peg fitted at front and hole for Bowden cable at top rear as for previous canopy.
Photo below shows current frame status, complete with recently acquired AH pilot figure.
My man may need to be shortened to fit above the rudder closed loop wires as I don't really want to reorganise the existing rudder & aerotow release servo positions unless absolutely necessary.
Next job is to make & fit a tray to hold pilot and the instrument panel/binnacle.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Canopy frame tidied up

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 20 Sep 2016, 17:05

Slight problem the white floor paint hasn't completely filled the weave & is not glossy enough for a a scale finish. so I have a few options.
I can paint it in some kind of enamel or aerokote it or cover it in film any suggestions as to what's the best option?

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 20 Sep 2016, 18:03

Give it all a good sanding with wet and dry then apply car vinyl wrap just as I did and it will look just fine.
Brian

Martin Church

Post by Martin Church » 20 Sep 2016, 18:09

Where did you get that vinyl wrap Brian?
Might just be what I need now to cover it all up ;)
I'm guessing it's self adhesive vinyl?