• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Battery choice!

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Jason Leech

Battery choice!

Post by Jason Leech »

Hi!

I'm new to large, scale RC gliders and was wondering if someone could advise a good option for my RX battery.
I'm building a 5 metre Flamingo with up to 7 servos (and possibly more things like a vario in the future).
I understand having too low a capacity battery can cause various issues, but can too large a capacity also cause issues?
Is it the norm to have a backup battery system for our precious machines?
Surely it's better to replace some of that lead ballast with a bit extra battery capacity?

Thank you!

I'm using a Futaba 6K and haven't chosen a receiver yet.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Battery choice!

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi,
Yes, extra battery capacity is a better alternative to lead ballast & having two batteries with redundancy is a good option just in case one fails in the air.
(Easiest redundancy connection method is via a high current diode in each battery line to the regulator/Rx.)
You need to consider the highest voltage that your Rx/servos can tolerate, else use a voltage regulator to ensure that the voltage is always (especially with freshly charged batteries) is within limits.

Although 4/5 cell NiMn packs were the standard way to get 4.8/6.0v nominal supplies, 2cell LiFe packs often tend to be used nowadays as they hold their voltage very well & the voltage is ok for ‘high voltage’ range gear without needing a regulator. I haven’t looked up Futaba 6K gear, but the spec will show maximum supply voltage. Note that the servos get same voltage as on the Rx battery input.

However, note that any Lithium based technology pack will need to be charged using out of the model (balance lead connection needed) & an appropriate charger.
Jason Leech

Post by Jason Leech »

Re: the battery backup diode -> is that something you can get over the counter or is it something we need to make ourselves?
harry curzon

Post by harry curzon »

Jeti makes a battery isolator, available with either normal servo style plugs, or with green Mpx plugs
https://www.esoaringgadgets.co.uk/index ... cts_id=553
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

You can easily make you own battery isolation device if you can solder wires together & I recall Robbie Bridson putting a connection diagram up on another thread, so probably worth looking through threads to see if you can see another battery query.
The diodes are easy enough to source through eBay. You need something to cope with highest current, voltage will not be an issue.
Something like these should be fine: (connect anode to battery +ve & link cathode/bar symbol ends of both diodes together & connect to Rx battery input).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18410786720 ... SwKdNeDMbk

Highest voltage battery will then connect through to the Rx & if either fails (extra low volts) then the other (higher voltage one) will automatically power the Rx.
You just need to check both batteries at the end of the day to see if which one(s) have been used.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

There you go:
battery_backer.pdf
(45.39 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

The 5A diodes are quite adequate for a standard seven servo set-up but a greater number or a digital installation will need a higher value. Much bigger than you need is fine - they'll just run cooler.

Also, as there is aprox. 0.7/0.8V drop across the diodes at full load, five cell Nimh packs are essential......or you could go for Schottky diodes with their lower voltage drop but even these can be up to half a volt - give or take.
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

The high capacity Nimh AA size cells can often have a high internal resistance, so while great for low load application, the voltage can drop significantly under load, the Sub C size cells just shrug off a high load. Must admit I am on the keep it simple side, I use a single good quality 5cell Sub C Nimh or 2s LiFe pack either plugged directly into the receiver or using an electronic switch, with telemetry telling me the receiver battery volts, but my biggest model is only 4.2m.
Stephen Portelli

Post by Stephen Portelli »

warning - Really dumb question! - thanks for your patience.
I prefer to use a 5cell NMH packs - nice and simple.

Just to be clear am I to understand that by wiring in a diode into each pack it's simply a matter of plugging in the second pack into a spare RX port? - is it really that simple? won't 2 x packs into the RX be too high a voltage for the RX?

Again sorry for the basic question.

cheers
Stephen
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Stephen,
Think of the diodes on each battery pack as a one way valve - so it only passes current in one direction (to the Rx).
Also, think off battery voltage as a water pressure level.
What happens with the diodes is that the voltage (pressure) seen at the Rx is the highest of the connected sources, rather than the sum - so the highest voltage will never be any more than that of either battery.
(In practice, the Rx voltage will be 0.5V or so less than the battery voltage due to the bit lost in the diodes (diode drop).

If you have 2 identical voltage batteries connected then both will power the Rx, but if one discharges faster than the other, or suddenly fails, it will effectively be disconnected from the Rx as current cannot flow backwards through its diode. This feature effectively sums the battery capacities available, but ensures that the Rx is still powered if one battery fails.

Peter
Robcrad

Post by Robcrad »

You can get diodes here:
https://www.phoenixmp.com/acatalog/Elec ... ories.html
£1.50 a pair.

Regards

Rob