• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Leccy bits?

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Jolly Roger

Leccy bits?

Post by Jolly Roger »

I've got all the pricey stuff (motor, ESC, batteries) but need some bits to connect them together e.g. bullet connectors, wire, heatshrink tubing etc. Please could you recommend a mail order supplier? I've used up my stock from Giant Shark which I bought yonks ago.

Also, do you guys use an arming switch/plug arrangement to make the final connection in the power circuit? I'd like something that supresses the spark and could be operated easily from outside the airframe like a discrete switch.

Thanks,
Rog
Peter Balcombe

Re: Leccy bits?

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Roger,
Stan Yeo provides very good service & stocks electric flight bits including wire, connectors, sleeving etc.
If you order before 3.30pm, the chances are that you will receive the goods next day.

As far as arming switches go, I doubt if there are any standard switches capable of operation at 30A plus. Your safest bet is probably to use a fixed electric flight female connector placed somewhere handy, plus a plug with shorting link to complete the circuit when you are ready to 'arm' for flight. The connectors will reliably take the current and when removed the circuit is guaranteed safe.
If this connector pair is one of the 'antispark' type then it will also do that job.

Others may have better suggestions, so watch this space :)
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Florian Schambeck sells a safety cut out 60A continuous, 90A peak

http://www.klapptriebwerk.de/produkte/z ... sschalter/
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Thanks Phil and Peter.

There seem to be 2 approaches; you can either spend £30+ and get a heatshrink encased "switching device" that may or may not include some FET circuitry that will eliminate sparks and give you a simple switch to operate, or as Peter says, you can basically buy an anti-spark connector and put it in an accessible place on your airframe, this being the final connection you make.

Aside from the cost, I'm not convinced that the more elaborate switches do any better job - if they fail, they could leave the power still ON which is bad news, plus in theory they will sap a small amount of power themselves. Also, I can never totally get "aside from the cost".

So I'll go with Peter's suggestion of an accessible antispark connector for a few quid. Normally I'd call Stan but he's got none in stock so will give Electricwingman a try - having heard such good things about them.

Thanks again.

Rog
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

I used the Jeti antispark connectors on 6s and above setups, these work very well. I don't plug in until at the flight line and have a throttle stop switch on my transmitter.

Multiplex also do their antiflash system which has an optional safety switch, but I've never used one of these.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

[quote="FrankS"]I used the Jeti antispark connectors on 6s and above setups, these work very well. I don't plug in until at the flight line and have a throttle stop switch on my transmitter.

Multiplex also do their antiflash system which has an optional safety switch, but I've never used one of these.[/quote]

Good to know. Thanks Frank.

This is my first foray above 1000W and I feel the need for extra precautions. I love the fact that with electric you get power at the flick of a switch, but this is also one of its biggest risks.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Rog,

remind me to tell you one day about my leccy horror story...

I've given up on the idea of electric tugging for now, horribly expensive and then you have to run a car or genny to charge them at the field... somewhat counterproductive.

Now electric up and go's thats a different kettle of fish ;)

Electricwingman is great, you won't be disappointed.

Ell x
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Good to hear from you Ell.

Yeah I'm not completely sure the benefits of electric are as big once you get above 6s. The cost of everything spirals upwards unless you buy el cheapo HK components and risk motors throwing magnets and escs puffing smoke.

I'm trying to give my power train an easy time to maximise its lifespan, basically keeping the current down by using high voltage LiPos, a low kV motor driving a big slow prop and an over-specced ESC.

I'll let you know how I get on. Back to work tomorrow so probably no modelling for 7 weeks. Should be ready for a maiden flight at Easter, assuming the sheep have mowed the field for me. If not, got some 8" bush wheels!

Love to family Howells.