• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

MPX 6 pin connectors

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Jolly Roger

MPX 6 pin connectors

Post by Jolly Roger »

I've happily used these green connectors for years for making wing-fus servo connections. 100% reliable and just the right amount of friction.

But I've found some red plugs that look compatible but are a very tight fit in the green socket.

Have others come across these red plugs? Are they not actually MPX?

Any ideas how to loosen them to make them an easier push fit?

Thanks.
Rog
terry white

Re: MPX 6 pin connectors

Post by terry white »

Hi Roger,I have found that not all the green coloured plugs are Multiplex mfg, but proberly made in the back street of timbukto where the tolerences ae not so QC. Like you say they somtimes come in a different colour, I have also used the dark red and black one. I found that although they fit OK to themselves they can be difficult to fit correctly on cross type. If you have got them together OK I would think that perhaps a little parring of the plastic here and there will ease them off. Terry.
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

[quote="terry white"]Hi Roger,I have found that not all the green coloured plugs are Multiplex mfg, but proberly made in the back street of timbukto where the tolerences ae not so QC. Like you say they somtimes come in a different colour, I have also used the dark red and black one. I found that although they fit OK to themselves they can be difficult to fit correctly on cross type. If you have got them together OK I would think that perhaps a little parring of the plastic here and there will ease them off. Terry.[/quote]

See, he's been everywhere man. Even Timbuctu?..

Geoff
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Sounds like my redduns aren't pukka MPX. I'll just order some more MPX greenies.

Thanks,
Rog
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Graupner used to sell the red ones. I have used them for years as it has been very convenient to use red ones for the left wing connections and green on the right.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Thanks John.

I Googled this issues last night and as Terry said there are several very similar 6 pin connectors on the market.

The concensus seems to be that

(a) you can be confident that genuine Multiplex connectors will not let you down - the metal parts are rugged and the plastic does not easily melt when soldering,
(b) if you have trouble paying maybe £4 for Mpx parts that cost 10p to make, there are some perfectly acceptable copies at a fraction of the cost but you takes your chances,
(c) whatever you do, don't mix male of one brand with female of another - the tolerances are tight and they may damage each other.

Out of curiosity I just ordered some genuine Mpx and some "reputable copies" to see how they compare (I'll measure resistance etc). To be honest though, for the sake of a few quid I'll probably just stick with Genuine Mpx for the peace of mind. Life's too short eh?

Thanks for your input you lovely modellers you.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

[quote="Chris Jesshope"]

One thing I did note is that the plastic do get a bit softer than the mpx ones when soldering, my first attempt at soldering put a pin out of alignment due to a stubborn joint. Since then I have always coupled a plug and socket when soldering, to ensure that there is no deformation if soldering does not go right first time.

Chris[/quote]

Thanks Chris. Useful tip about coupling a plug/socket whilst soldering. As well as physical alignment it should also be a useful heat sink to prevent heat building up within the plastic housing, so just the exposed metal pins get hot.

Enjoy your Ventus!
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

So in side by side comparison with Multiplex originals, the "reputable" copies are virtually identical.

Electrical resistance is identical (both negligible), the motion of sliding plug and socket together is the same, and the general robustness of pins etc appears the same.

Apart from price, the only difference (as Chris mentioned) is that the plastic of the copies does soften if you leave the soldering iron on for maybe 10 secs. But if you've pre-tinned the pins and wire then 3 seconds is usually plenty to make a good joint.

Got mine from Electricwingman, 95p/pair, less than half Mpx. Fab service too - less than 24hrs to my door and a sensible p&p charge.