• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Lipo charging

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Trevor

Re: Lipo charging

Post by Trevor »

I too can vouch for the fact that the connectors on balance boards don't last forever. So I was a bit concerned to see that the Riot XL that I have been given as a club tug uses JST XH connectors for the wing / fuselage connections. It will be interesting to see how these work out.

One tip when charging:- Once the charge has been started, on many chargers a press of the + key will bring up a display of the individual cell voltages. While viewing this, give the balance connectors a bit of a wiggle and see if any of the cell voltages fluctuate, indicating a dodgy contact somewhere.

Trevor
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

So I was a bit concerned to see that the Riot XL that I have been given as a club tug uses JST XH connectors for the wing / fuselage connections. It will be interesting to see how these work out.

DO NOT FLY IT.

Rewire them. Mpx plugs are good.
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

[quote="Barry_Cole"][color=#FF0000] So I was a bit concerned to see that the Riot XL that I have been given as a club tug uses JST XH connectors for the wing / fuselage connections. It will be interesting to see how these work out.[/color]

[size=150]DO NOT FLY IT.[/size]

Rewire them. Mpx plugs are good.[/quote]

Gulp, been flying mine with the standard JST XH connectors :o
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

The JST XH sockets are mounted on a PCB in the fuselage so, once seated, the connectors are at least isolated from any movement in the wing/fuselage joint. I put three flights on the model on Sunday without problems but I agree, Multiplex connectors would be much more secure. The moment the JST ones give me any cause for concern, they will go - it's relatively easy to take the board out and just connect the extension leads in the old fashioned way. However, this would result in more of a birds nest in the servo bay with the potential for getting tangled with the rudder and elevator linkages. Just goes to prove the adage "there's always another way to foul things up' - or words to that effect.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Let's just hope:-

The moment the JST ones give me any cause for concern, they will go

Does not happen at 1000ft

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC
Chris Veitch

Post by Chris Veitch »

Guys

The measurement that shows the condition of the packs, not capacity, is the internal resistance, if this goes up significantly the pack will not deliver power as expected.

I now check packs regularly with this after experiencing a poor hand launch due to a declining battery.

http://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/esr-meter- ... giles.html

Regards

Chris Veitch
Chris Veitch

Post by Chris Veitch »

Agreed, but the price of a new fun is probably more if you crash on handlaunch :-)