• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Choosing a 2.4 gig system

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Martin G

Re: Choosing a 2.4 gig system

Post by Martin G »

I have used Graupner HOTT 2.4 in the past and am now using Jeti.

I find the Jeti to be very good quality and easy to program but their transmitters are costly.

I recommend that you decide what tx functions you simply "must have" and what other functions would be "nice to have". That should point you in the direction of a couple of different brands.

Download the user manuals and see if you can follow the programming ethos. Also look online at youtube videos for the transmitters to see if it makes sense.

You should be able to shortlist a couple of brands after that, when it will come down to availability and, of course, cost. Don't forget to price up receiver costs.

It might be worth seeing if your chosen brand (when you choose it) has a 2.4 module that will fit into your current transmitter. That will take some of the sting out of replacing 35 meg rx's with 2.4 ones. I had to buy nineteen receivers when swapping to Jeti.
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

All modern transmitters have more "functions" than most models need but to get the best out of them you need to know your way around the programming. There is no "best" one as every person will have their own views so my advice is to talk with local flyers who have got used to using the programming of their transmitters and are willing to help guide you through.
You could always seek advice via the "internet " and forums such as this but that really is no substitute for some hands on assistance and guidance.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

Everyone has forgotten Multiplex. I fly almost all my scale gliders on a Multiplex Profi Tx after retiring my 27 year old MPX Profi MC4000. My simple models like foamies and hand launched, I use a MPX Cockpit SX which is remarkably good at the price point.
These take care of every need and are pretty simple to program too.
I also own a Jeti system which is simply stunning both in terms of build quality and funcionality. I have programmed couple of gliders on this sytem and it has also been more than satisfactory.

John
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Nigel, I think you could manage the frsky programming quite easily if you wanted to go that route.
I'm also in the position of wanting to upgrade my tx. And have a large supply of futaba and frsky clones. The eu protocol change brought in forced manufacturers to reduce their power output in 2017. It might be worth considering a second hand set.
I've never had an issue with them so certainly consider a futaba too.
I think there is a fact of getting what you pay for certainly with receivers. If your model is worth 2000 quid don't stick in a £20 rx. Imo the cost of RX and battery setup should be at least 10%(probably more) the price of the airframe.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

The eu protocol change brought in forced manufacturers to reduce their power output in 2017.

Jim, Please explain, it's news to me...

BC
john slater

Post by john slater »

Hi Nigel,
I bought a Taranis Plus last year after using Futaba radio for` ever' , and can honestly say I have mastered the system, not with ease but not as difficult as you might imagine, I have used the u tube lessens, which have been invaluable.The beauty of the system is once you have got to grips with it anything is possible, mixing is not a problem and selecting a channel for a control is as simple as just moving the desired stick or switch on the Taranis.
Good luck
John