• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Choosing a 2.4 gig system

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Nigel Argall

Choosing a 2.4 gig system

Post by Nigel Argall »

I’m sure this has been asked before but I’d love to hear your up-to-date advice and opinion.
I have a big birthday coming up (one with a ‘0’) and have the chance to finally join the 21st century and go over to 2.4 gig from 35 meg. I have been using the same JR kit for about 15 years and fancy the change because 1) existing set is creaking a bit and I don’t want to push my luck, 2) I like the idea of telemetry – getting height, battery voltage etc. Sounds potentially very nice and 3) I’m hitting the limit of my current set – I have to designate some gliders as power models just to get the mixes I want.
So... what to get? Just to clarify first as I have NO 2.4 experience:
A) I have to stick with the same brand – i.e. the days of having a JR TX talking to a Hitec RX are over? Is that right?
B) If a set is advertised as (say) ‘18 channel’ that really means 9 channels out to the model and (potentially) 9 channels of telemetry back – is that right?
Now... in terms of choice... JR have stopped so that is not an option.
Do I just go for one of the main brands? – I quite fancy Graupner.
Spektrum seem to be the dominant market brand but I’ve read articles with sponsored flyers saying ‘I only use this because I’m sponsored by them’ which to be honest is a bit off putting.
I know a lot of you guys like Frsky’s Taranis – price and options seem to make it a strong choice but I’m nervous about the ‘programming’ required. I can programme my JR 35 meg (with the help of the manual) but I get frustrated with those who are naturally gifted with computers saying ‘It’s easy... so intuitive’ when invariably (for me) it is not.
How clever do you have to be with FRsky and what else would folks recommend? – I’m interested in both the kit and the backup you have had from importers/distributors. Many thanks in advance!
Barry_Cole

Re: Choosing a 2.4 gig system

Post by Barry_Cole »

Frsky is the way to go....

E-Mail sent..

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

BC
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Nigel,
Don’t know what Barry has covered in his email, but to respond to your specific questions:
A. 2.4 transmission protocols are a bit more complex than with 35MHz and thus usually, one radio manufacturers kit is not compatible with another’s. However, if you already had a pile of 2.4 kit from one manufacturer, you can often still use the receivers by putting the relevant Tx adaptor module in the back of another suppliers Tx.
However, if you are just starting with 2.4 then that is unlikely to be a consideration.

B. My understanding is that if a radio is sold as capable of 18 channels then that means 18 separate servo control channels at the receiver.
I am pretty sure that the telemetry link back from the model uses a completely separate single channel as all telemetry data is likely to be multiplexed in a serial format - a bit like a computer USB link - as each telemetry channel update rate is comparatively low compared to that for servos.
For instance, the Frsky sets are capable of 16 channels using say two 8 channel receivers (one handling CH1-8 & the other CH9-16. Only one of those receivers looks after all telemetry responses.

C: FrSky unit programming is not difficult but it does mean that you need to forget the time-honoured way of having a lot of preprogrammed Tx stick to servo mixes as you start with a completely blank piece of paper.
However, it does mean that anything is possible.
There is no such thing as Glider/Acro/Heli modes.
If you can think it, you can do it ;)
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Overall, if I was starting from scratch for large models I would go for FrSky and a Taranis Plus but despite what others have said it can take a while to fathom the programming - ask 10 Taranis users how to do a certain thing and you will likely get 10 different answers, or "why don't you use so and so's programme", which won't actually do exactly what you want after all.

Well maybe not 10, but yes there is normally more than one way to get what you want.

You can also take a copy of your program, and e-mail it to someone for checking and fault finding. I have worked with people in the USA, Australia, Italy , and a few others. Great fun.

Other than Spectrum, and who wants that. Frsky is the largest selling RC system.

BC
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

One thing to consider is what you want to fly. If it's bind and fly planes from Horizon in amongst your other planes, then Spektrum is what you will be looking at, or at least something that is Modular so that you can get a DSMX or maybe with older planes DSM2 module as well as what you may have with the Tx when you buy it. It also depends on what your budget is and this may depend on how many receivers you are likely to want, as, if you saw a need to buy say 25 receivers and the average receiver cost was £30 against £60 then that's a £750 difference.

I remember someone saying that they couldn't afford to change to another radio make as they had 15 receivers and the cost of that alone was ridiculous, well believe me, they had no idea of the scale of the issue that some modellers face in this situation, but it's all food for thought.

By the way, I use a mixture of Spektrum and JR DSM in both DSM2 and DSMX. It's not a fashion thing, it's just what I've got. I have one or 2 slight gripes, but mostly positive things to say, even if it is said just to be shot down. I am not recommending you to go that route, but just opening possibilities. I cannot afford Jeti or high end Futaba and to change my fleet would be too cost prohibitive, plus I personally like bind and fly sometimes.

Ray
It's always calmer indoors :D
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

And you can get a mutli protocol module to go into the back of the Taranis, that will bind to just about anything....

It's the way to go...

BC
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Of course, you could always not worry about the module option and just get a second hand Spektrum Dx6 for about £60 for the bind and fly stuff if you were into that at all.

The one thing that shouldn't be overlooked of course is how the different sets feel in your hands and whether you can find all the necessary switches without looking away from your plane. Our hands are all different and our switch needs are all different too. I have held transmitters in the past that I would never want to fly with. And are you a thumbs or finger and thumb flyer? That will affect the way it feels.

Food for thought. It's a big decision

Ray
It's always calmer indoors :D
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

Agree with Ray, if you are going to make the next set last 15 years, it needs to be one you are happy with, you see sets on BMFA classifieds of people who have bought them and then not got on with them, for one reason or another.

For glider/tug guiding it could be worth attending an aerotow and chatting with various users to get their feedback on their radio use and see how they feel in the hand. I say an aerotow as the ones I have attended have a good cross section of radios used by glider pilots.
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

Whoa! Guys, thank you so much. Great advice/opinions (as always) and a whole pile of stuff I had not thought of. The 'feel' thing is a good point and tricky unless I can get to a decent sized meeting (not easy in West Cornwall!). All really helpful - thanks so much.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Nigel,
The Ghost Squadron meet at Cheddar in June might well be worth a visit if no decisions made by then.