• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

LiPo Rescue

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Ian Davis

LiPo Rescue

Post by Ian Davis »

I have a 5 cell LiPo that had one duff cell 4@4.20volts and 1@3.96. Balance charge, fast charge. Nothing changed the situation.

I looked at google solutions and found lots of hair raising schemes most of which would have resulted in lots of magic smoke. However, one suggestion did seem to offer hope without pyrotechnics. Guess what. IT WORKS.

The method is simple. Discharge all cells to 3.50 volts. I found that once the duff cell was below 3.96 volts it fell in line with rest all the way down. Set a balanced charge at 0.1 amps. Be patient, this will take a long time. Once the battery has cleared 4.0 increase current to 0.5 amps and you will get a fully balanced battery, all cells at 4.20 volts.
Ian Davis

Re: LiPo Rescue

Post by Ian Davis »

Mark

Cycled the LiPo to storage value and then balanced charged @ 1.4 amps. All cells present and correct@4.20 volts. The method seems to work altho' so far only a one trick pony. It would good if someone else could check the method with a wayward battery to confirm my results.

Ian
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Update on the rescue method described earlier.

Now some months on and the battery is in perfect, balanced condition. I think the concept works well.

Ian
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Ian

Have you tried using it in a model, running it down and then recharging or have you just checked its state in storage? I will be interested if it stays in balance and recharges properly "in use".

Regards

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

John

I've just run it in the Tandam Falke. Took it down to about 3.7 volts per cell, that's below the critical point where the story started. I've just balance charged it and all cells are at 4.20 volts. Seems to have worked.

Regards

Ian
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

John

Repeated process but used a different charger to balance. I got 2 x 4,20 and 3 x 4.19. I'm happy with that.

Ian
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Thanks for the additional info Ian.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)