• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Radio wing setup

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Tonyw51

Radio wing setup

Post by Tonyw51 »

I have just purchased a new (superseded) Graupner MX-16 and have had a steep learning experience with different software logic, having come from a Hitec Aurora 9X. I am coming from a "Plane" background plus a 2 Channel glider and 3 channel electric glider as gliding experience, these 2 are now on the Graupner. I have decided to get some experience on a 5 channel Great Planes ARF Tori, before flying an SF33 semi scale I am part way through building. The channels are Power, Aileron (L), Elevator, Rudder & Aileron (R).

My question is about the radio setup for 3 phases of flight, Take Off, Thermal & Landing. What considerations are used for each phase, what would be a good starting setting for test flight and is there any further reading any one could recommend on glider radio setup.

Cheers
Simon WS

Re: Radio wing setup

Post by Simon WS »

With only 4 flight controls I don't think you have much you can do in terms of flight modes to be honest. Flight modes are useful if you have lots of control surfaces that can be set up to provide optimum performance - eg flaps to give a bit of camber for thermal (and perhaps launch mode).
I think the most you could do is giving it a bit of up aileron to act as spoilerons for landing mode and (maybe) a little down aileron for thermal mode - but it might not be advisable as it will make the glider more prone to tip stalling.

KISS in my opinion!

Simon
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

On a power plane I use flight phases for is different aileron/elevator/rudder travels and aileron differential per flight phase. and on IC models where I have different throttle trim settings for different flight phases, so for ACRO I have a high trim setting, NORMAL a mid setting and LANDING a low trim setting.

On my ASK11 electric motor glider, I have the following

Normal - airbrakes inhibited, no coupled aileron/rudder, interval height readout
Thermal - airbrakes inhibited, coupled aileron/rudder, vario active
Landing - airbrakes active with a bit of aileron reflex, coupled aileron/rudder

Airbrakes are on the stick and throttle on a slider, I could set it up with throttle and airbrakes on the stick depending on the flight phase/mode but prefer separate controls.

Note these are on a MPX Profi not a Graupner MX-16
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

I'm with Simon. Keep it simple.

:D :D :D :D

BC
Tonyw51

Post by Tonyw51 »

Thanks for your thoughts Simon and Barry, I would agree with you about the KISS principle in normal circumstances. However it is my intention to gain experience and preparation for more complex aircraft by using a more simple aircraft and programming in to a 3 way switch various flight modes to gain experience and confidence.

Frank’s “Normal”, “Thermal” and “Landing” sounds like an idea as I can quickly switch back to “Normal” if I find myself outside my comfort zone at any point.

Frank, thanks for your thoughts on this. I will not have air brakes or flaps on the “Tori” so I shall substitute with upward aileron deflection for Landing and a touch of downward deflection for Thermal.

Can anyone recommend further reading on the subject of glider setups

Cheers