• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Battery life of Frisky 10S

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
MDev

Battery life of Frisky 10S

Post by MDev »

The battery life is not capable of a long days flying, the tx will cope with a range of 6.6v to 8.4v and is served by 2X li on cells. There’s not a great deal of space, any suggestions for a capacity upgrade? 3S + bec?

M
Trevor

Re: Battery life of Frisky 10S

Post by Trevor »

On my Jeti DS16, the charging port can take a wide range of voltages (the actual charging intelligence being inside the Tx). As a result, if it needs a popup at the field, I just plug a 3s LiPo directly into the transmitter. I know nothing about FrSky but it would be worth checking whether it has a similar facility.
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

I have three sets of batteries with mine. Just change when needed.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
MDev

Post by MDev »

Cliff, Have you extended the wire down into the battery compartment or do you take the back off to change packs?

There is no room for the single cells and the three pack holder, it would have to be a soldered together pack of li on with a bec to take the volts down to 6.6v-8.4v, if there is such a thing? The component shop do a variable voltage item but it’s too big.

Why is nothing ever easy!

M
MDev

Post by MDev »

Just checked the charger, it puts out 15v at 1amp. A 3S pack might work but how would you control the amps? And it’s not exactly secure holding a 3s pack whilst flying?

M
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

10S Express has a battery compartment that you put the batteries in like you would AA's or the like.
20200624_111408.jpg
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Mark, the amps will be automatically looked after by the intelligent battery charger function - unless limited anyway by the supply.
A Lithium chemistry charger will usually start in current limit mode until the off-charge voltage gets to max. volts (8.4 for a 2S LiPo), then changes to a fixed voltage charge, reducing the current.
You can usually see a charger backing off the charge current periodically whilst it reads the pack voltage, particularly on a NiMn charge, as the charger needs to determine when the voltage peak/slope reversal occurs to terminate charge at the correct point.
MDev

Post by MDev »

Cliff, Your Access model is different, mine has a 2S li on pack with the wire disappearing inside, hence the need to take the back off to change a pack. There is no room for a larger pack. Not enough room really for the wire either!
Attachments
image.jpg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Changing batteries to 2off 18650 cells seems to be one of the changes made between the 10S & 10S Express!
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Mark,
It looks as if the X10S battery can only be charged whilst the Tx is switched OFF - see warning in the instructions to make sure unit is switched off before charging.
There is a thread on the web about someone who didn’t like the small usb type charging port also - so did a very nice professional job in fitting a 5 pin fast charge connector on the back, just above the row of 3 under the rubber strip.
This allowed him to use a standard Li-on chemistry balance charger.

Apart from that, it looks as if you are limited to the internal battery life & Frsky charger - same as with my X12S :(