• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Futaba variometer/altitude sensor

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
flihijohn

Futaba variometer/altitude sensor

Post by flihijohn »

I have just installed the SBS-02A variometer/altitude sensor to be used in conjunction with mt 18MZ Tx. I have the latest softwear version on my Tx and am a bit puzzled as to what settings to try for "range", "offset" and "deadband". Has anyone out there had practical experience with this sensor and could suggest suitable starting values for use in typical British thermal conditions (is there such a thing?). The weather has precluded flying for the moment, and suitable days are getting increasingly rare. I could start with the default values, but, if someone can save me a good many test flights I would be very grateful.
Many thanks.
John
simon_t

Re: Futaba variometer/altitude sensor

Post by simon_t »

A while since I used one, but start with a range of 3-4m/s (lower if you want more sensitivity). Offset about -0.6m/s, a typical glider sink rate - this means it should indicate ‘rising air’ if the model is sinking less than that (adjust for your model sink rate). The deadband about 0.2m/s to get rid of noise (look at the reading when the model is static and see the range of values. This stops the vario bleeping up and down all the time.

Simon
flihijohn

Re: Futaba variometer/altitude sensor

Post by flihijohn »

Thanks,Simon.
I'll load your suggested settings and, with a bit of luck, I'll get out this afternoon and see how thing pan out.
John