• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

GPS Triangle flying Training weekend 18/19 April 2020

Spread the know how on GPS navigational flying.
john greenfield

GPS Triangle flying Training weekend 18/19 April 2020

Post by john greenfield »

Hi All

I am running another GPS Triangle training weekend on the 18/19th April at Buckminster. All are welcome to bring a model and try this form of flying. For this weekend any model that is big enough to see on the course will be fine and for any model that can't self launch, a tug will be available to get you to start height.
The weekend will be a combination of tutorials covering all aspects of GPS flying with plenty of opportunities between tutorials to fly and practice the elements of this type of flying.
For those new to this type of flying, I recommend attending on Sat as we will start with the basics. Sunday will have a short refresher and then move onto more advanced flying and tactics.
Loan GPS will be available (prior booking required) for those who do not have their own kit. Contact John.
See the attached poster for more info but please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Please note that this is a specific GPS training weekend and not an aerotow meeting.

AEB
Attachments
GPS Buckminster poster resized.jpg
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Jess Nicholls

Re: GPS Triangle flying Training weekend 18/19 April 2020

Post by Jess Nicholls »

Hi John
Can you tell me what system/equipment you use for GPS Triangle flying.

Cheers
Jess Nicholls
john greenfield

Jess

There are several options but they are all made by RC-Electronics.org. Have a look on their website for info on the options.

I still use their T3000 in my "Light Class" model but that is not made anymore and has been superseded by more modern kit that runs on an Android device. In my Sport Class model, I use Sparrow and in my open class, I use Raven.

If you come along on the 18/19th April you will be able to see all the options and if you want to have a go, I have arranged the loan of Sparrow. You will need to download Albatross onto your own android device before the weekend and provide a patch lead in your model to power Sparrow.

Give me a call if you want to borrow the loan kit and I can talk you through what you need to do in detail.

AEB
07710 924721
Jess Nicholls

Post by Jess Nicholls »

Hi John

Thanks for the info i'll have a look on their website.
Unfortunately I can't get to the Training Weekend 18/19th as I can't drive at the moment hopefully be back on the road buy June.

Hope you have a good weekend

Jess
SP250

Post by SP250 »

I have organised two further GPS Training / Flying weekends at Sherlowe in Shropshire.
Loan gear will be available, but please let me or John know you require it and are coming.
May 30th & 31st, also September 26th & 27th.
Arrival Friday & camping, vans and motorhomes all ok.

Same format as John's event at Buckminster, but with the added incentive of anyone travelling up/down to Shropshire that Friday.
The Midland Gliding Club are hosting the Vintage Glider Association for the week (25th to 30th May) on Long Mynd which is only 25miles away.
I understand that there will be a healthy number of European as well as UK based vintage gliders there.
All the colour documentation and scale detail photos you could want.

Cliff could you please put the dates up onto the calendar? Thanks.

John M
john greenfield

Hi All

It is with some sadness that I have to advise that the GPS Training weekend at Buckminster on 18/19th April is now postponed until a later date when the current situation is over. Latest Government advice and the closure of Buckminster make it impossible to run the event at this time.

I do hope via this forum we can all still discuss all things GPS Triangle related to keep interest until we can fly again.

Please also have a thought about Bernie Jones (www.esoaring gadgets.co.uk) who has stocked up on GPS kit to support you and the event. If you were thinking of getting kit, please consider carrying through with the purchase to help him out and of course to be ready for when we can fly again.

AEB