• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Software

If you need help on creating or dealing with a plan in dxf or other formats, then this is the place to ask.
C.olson

Re: Software

Post by C.olson »

Thanks every one for the guidance I'm not the most pc orientated person so whichever I try will be a steep learning curve, I'm torn between the maplins turbocad for dipping my toe in and devcad but have to confess the model orientated dev products does appeal to me also as the model terminology used may help?
I have a lot of catching up to do to get models flyable for this season and my winter builds from last year have rolled into next year already! But I would still like to dabble with doing it myself and learning a new skill (as long as it doesn't get in the way of all my build projects!)

Chris
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Well I have gone and got that turbocad from Maplins and it's installed and working in no time ! All I have to do is work at understanding it all now !! Although I must say what little I have learned so far (just a few hours messing about) has been really interesting!
A steep learning curve I'm sure but a rewarding challenge (I hope)

All I ned now is a converter from pdf to DWG so I can import 3views to mess about with and ruin haha,,,,anyone know what to use??

Chris
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

You can convert vector .pdf to .dwg in Illustrator. Be aware that some .pdfs are just standard .jpg images or similar and will only return an image. I have used that method on the free plans so that the vector work, which can be stripped from the .pdf cannot be used (and has been) by unscrupulous kit suppliers.

If you want any conversions, I can do them for you

Vince
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Thanks Cliff,,,Vince,,,,
I'm far away from truly importing anything serious to fiddle with and still struggling with the terminology of it all !!! But the rain stops play days will be filled with me asking you chaps lots of stupid questions I'm sure!
I was going to just mess with some simple 3views and see what happens but I think I need to structure my learning curve and "learn" instead of just making shapes and not knowing exactly how I did it! .
I do have a future project iv always fancied but as that's a flying wing I'd probably be better to invest in profilli for that one ! (Keeping that project under wraps for know though) .
One quick question though,,,,should I set up a template and only use metric units now our beloved balsa is sized that way and wing tubes and fittings etc it seems "sensible" to stay metric ? ,iv not learned how to set templates and it's still on inches currently but iv only had it installed since yesterday.
Chris.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Always work in Metric. Even Fred Slingsby did that
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Well I didn't know fred slingsby worked in metric! (Always learning something in this hobby)
Good to get things set up from the start in the correct way so thanks chaps,,,,,,Cliff cheers in advance for sending me some info once iv got it I'll set it up..
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Chris

I've just caught up with this thread, I'm in Belgium at the moment but will be back in the UK shortly. You mention the issue of converting three views, there is no need.

If you have a scanner then just scan the image which will appear somewhere in your documents. This can be imported directly in to Turbocad and resized to your requirements . Once done you simply trace the outline and start designing the structure. When I get home I will post some examples.

Ian
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Thanks Ian,
I did read somewhere about that but I thought perhaps I'd misunderstood as it seems so simple!
When you get back any help would be very appreciated (ps may be in hospital for a day or two from tomorrow so may not be about for a bit)

Chris
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Chris

It's so simple it took me some years to figure it out.

Before then it was a case of blowing the 3 view up to A3 and then measuring every element with a vernier.

Ian
Tony Woods

Post by Tony Woods »

Ian,
I hope that you are coming back loaded with Belgium Chocolates, They will go down well at MW. :D

Tony