• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Software

If you need help on creating or dealing with a plan in dxf or other formats, then this is the place to ask.
John Mcnamara

Re: Software

Post by John Mcnamara »

Hi Cliff,
I am a long time user of CAD programs at work. I have used autocad light to design models previously, but my job does not require this now, and I am not going to buy a full Autodesk product as it is far too expensive. So I have been considering Devcad.
I have a few questions please Cliff:
Is it fully 3d and loftable?
Can it intergrate with sophisticated wing programs such as Profili?
As an Autocad Light user how familiar will it be? will i natutrally find my way around or will I have to learn all over again?
Regards,

John
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Hiya cliff,
Iv been considering having a stab at devcad iv got to purchase a new laptop as my old one isn't up to par and iv currently only got the use of my ipad.
I'm a complete novice when it comes to cad so would you recomend devcad cliff? And what exactly should I purchase ? Does devcad offer wing section choice? Do I need DEV fuz and dev wing?
I don't want to get bogged down with software and not actually build something from it but I do fancy having a bash at doing my own thing next year.
I have a project in mind I'd like to discuss with you soon so ill give you a ring over the next week or so.

Chris
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Cheers cliff
I see your burning the midnight oil again! I'm sold on the devcad and will look at investing later this year as iv some glider building to catch up with if I'm going to be active this summer,,,,plus im finally going to tackle organising my workshop/dumping ground over the next couple of weeks.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

I don't recommend DevFus at all for scale gliders. I bought it, tried it and it was impossible to create the outline I needed
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Chris

Like Vince I had trouble using Devfuz. I tried it because it seemed so appealing, particularly the 3D rendering.

I've used Turbocad for many years and found it easy to learn and very cheap to buy. You can get a very useable version for about £8 from Maplins.

A trick that took a long time to dawn on me is that you can scan a 3view and import into your CAD system and then scale to the required size. This means that you have the outline of the fuselage without any individual measurements. All that remains is to trace the outline and create the internal structure.

Add this to Profili for your wing rib plotting and you've got everything you need to create the model of your dreams.

Ian ;)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Ian,
Many thanks,
I have just picked up a copy of TurboCAD 18 Deluxe 2D/3D at Maplins for £7.99.
Now for the learning curve!!
Peter
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Peter

It's pretty intuitive, but if you need guidance just ask.

Ian ;)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Thanks Ian,
I have had a look at the first 10 video tutorials on the DVD & they seem to take things slowly & thoroughly so far.
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Hi Peter

Most tutorials take you to places you don't need to go. The basics of orthogonal lines. normal lines and multiple lines offset from the first by a known distance more or less covers that. The only useful addition is a line perpendicular to the first.

Circles and ellipses are straightforward.

Local snaps can be found on the right click of your mouse and allows all the options for joining lines to circles or ellipses.

I always set the drawing scale to 1:1 and if you import a scanned three view it can be resized keeping the aspect ratio. To do this just decide, for instance the overall length, draw a horizontal line of the appropriate length then stretch the three view to suit.

Because I have limited printing facilities I don't generate full plans. All I'm after for a fuselage, for instance, are the former shapes and their position along the structure. Even these sometimes involve some cutting and sticking of A4 sheets if the model is large.

I almost forgot. To print, copy the whole drawing from model space to paper space. Select the whole drawing then move the part you want to print over the page outline.

The building process involves choosing or creating a horizontal datum longeron and then setting it up in my trusty jig with the former positions defined by a cross brace. The jig is created for each model but the timber can be reused many times. The pic shows my J71 seaplane glider in the jig. It's worth noting that the jig allows most of the planking of the fuse to be carried out before removal and even allows the decalage to be checked
Attachments
J71rig1.JPG
spike spencer

Post by spike spencer »

Add this to Profili for your wing rib plotting and you've got everything you need to create the model of your dreams.
Couldn't resist this one in response. (Taken from an issue of "The White Sheet)
Attachments
Toon profiles.jpg