• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Using CAD on MacBook's

If you need help on creating or dealing with a plan in dxf or other formats, then this is the place to ask.
DG1000

Using CAD on MacBook's

Post by DG1000 »

I have just moved over to the dark side and now using a MacBook Pro instead of using Windows based machines/laptops, is there anyone else out there using MacBook's if so what is the best CAD software app, in the past I have used DesignCAD when using Windows 7.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Using CAD on MacBook's

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi,
Note that it is possible to set up your MacBook to Boot into either Mac OS or Windows on startup.
I have 2 Macs, including a MacBook Pro set up to dual boot into Mac OS/Windows so that I can run some applications which are not available in Mac format.
You can also run Windows programs in a virtual Windows environment from the Mac OS, but I understand that a dual boot setup gives native Windows performance.
Dual booting is easy enough to do using Bootcamp which is included in the Mac OS.
You use Bootcamp to segment part of your hard drive as a Windows partition & then install Windows & the machine hardware drivers onto that.
Note that unless you transfer data via USB sticks, although Macs tend to be able to read Windows files, it doesn't work the other way around.
DG1000

Post by DG1000 »

Hi Peter,

I have moved over to the dark side and will never go back to using Windows based laptop's, when I first started using MacBook's does take a little getting used too, but now things are much easier, don't plan on using Boot Camp at all.

Geoff
DG1000

Post by DG1000 »

Hi Cliff,

AutoCAD if I'm correct is very expensive I think, will look at TurboCAD and see what that has to offer, currently have a trial version of Draft Sight, not planning on using dual boot system as never want to use Windows based laptops again, moving over to the dark side has been a good move and so much easier to use once you get used to using MacBook's.

Geoff
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

You can run a virtual machine on your Mac that hosts Windows to run cheaper Windows CAD software.

No disk partitioning or dual boot required.

https://www.virtualbox.org

Phill