If you are joining, please check your spam folder for confirmation email

Middle Wallop May 18 /19th Access arrangements

The place discuss or announce scale soaring events in the UK.
john greenfield

Middle Wallop May 18 /19th Access arrangements

Post by john greenfield » 08 May 2019, 15:31

Hi all

The Ghost Squadron's negotiations with MW have been concluded and we are now pleased to be able to advise you of the new access arrangements to the airfield for this year.
Access to and from the airfield this year will be via Crash Gate 3 which is on the East side of the airfield. No entry or exit will be available via the museum gate as in previous years.
Please see the attached map for directions to Crash gate 3.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/51.1416 ... m2!4m1!3e0

I have been advised that access from the North via the Stockbridge Road is easier than coming in from the south via the village. Turn West up the gravel track by the pumping station and it will take you to the crash gate. For our weekend there will be a combination lock on the gate (Code 5208 for the May event) Open the gate with the combination and then it is essential that you shut it again behind you. Exiting the airfield will be via the same procedure.
There are 2 other events taking place on the airfield at the same time as our event, SAM 35 in their usual place to the North and an Electric fly-in where the MW club usually operate so there will be other modellers using the crash gate but we must stress the importance of relocking the gate after you have passed through.
There will be a phone number posted on the crash gate to contact a Ghost Squadron Member if you have arrived and forgotten the gate code.
The one advantage of these new arrangements is that we can continue flying until 19.00 on Sat rather than have to leave the airfield early as in the past. Sunday flying will be until 17.00
Please do not attempt to try to access the airfield before 08.30 each day as overnight, the airfield security will be removing the lock and will not replace it until 08.30 each day. There is really nowhere to park outside the crash gate and the access road is only one car wide so if you arrive before 08.30 please find somewhere else (museum car park ?) to park up and wait.
It is essential that we all take great efforts to make these new access arrangements work to ensure the continuing ability for us to enjoy the fantastic site that MW affords us.
If anyone knows someone who would like to attend but is not a regular subscriber to SSUK please pass this message on.

See you all on 18 / 19th May

The Ghost Squadron
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)

Tony Woods

Re: Middle Wallop May 18 /19th Access arrangements

Post by Tony Woods » 09 May 2019, 10:23

Hi John,
Hope that you are keeping well.
Does this new system mean that spectators as in the old pay at the gate system mean that they are no longer allowed and only BMFA are allowed in?

I ask because that now applies to myself as when I stopped flying I could not stay on at Middle Wallop as they changed the rules this year and no longer allow social members as in the past.

Best Regards,

Tony.

john greenfield

Post by john greenfield » 10 May 2019, 08:05

Hi Tony
No problem with spectators now with the new arrangements. Whilst it is not an open "public" event for spectators, anyone who knows the gate code can get in. There will be no one on the gate to collect any money as happened in the past when access was via the museum gate but as we have to raise enough money to cover the huge cost to hire the airfield any donations to the cause would be appreciated.

AEB

Tony Woods

Post by Tony Woods » 10 May 2019, 09:55

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply.

I am very willing to donate at such a great event,I hope that you have a very large bucket to hold all of the donations.

Regards,
Tony.

Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman » 10 May 2019, 18:03

Hi John,

Are we ok for camping?

Thanks,

Phill

john greenfield

Post by john greenfield » 13 May 2019, 14:27

Hi Phil

OK for camping at the museum as normal but there is a Caravan club rally onsite as well so we may have to stay in or close to the car park but I am sure we can find some grass to pitch your tent on.

AEB

john greenfield

Post by john greenfield » 13 May 2019, 14:35

All

The first MW is this weekend I hope you have all read and digested the new access arrangements detailed in the first post on this thread.
I thought it appropriate to also remind you of the new fee structure to cover the huge airfield costs imposed on us this year. There will be no charge on the gate but all pilots will be charged £20 per day for the use of the site. This, of course, does not apply to "The 12" who put down money upfront to ensure our events can continue. They will only pay £5 per day.
I am sure you will agree it is still a very reasonable amount for the use of this fantastic site and of course the great company and expert tug pilots.
We look forward to seeing you all this weekend.

The Ghost Squadron

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 13 May 2019, 17:16

For your Sat nav:-

51 Deg 08" 30.64' N
001 Deg 33" 31.07' W

:D :D :D :D

BC

FrankS

Post by FrankS » 13 May 2019, 21:47

Anybody using the what3words system the gate is ///polices.deflate.silver

john greenfield

Post by john greenfield » 17 May 2019, 09:33

Hi all

Final reminder before we head off to MW this weekend, access to the airfield will be via crash Gate 3, NOT THE MUSEUM. The code for the gate is 5208 and please close the gate behind you. If you get to the gate and have forgotten the code, we will be putting a note on the gate with phone numbers you can call to get the code.
Please do not arrive at crash gate 3 before 8.30 am tomorrow as it is on a single track road with no parking spaces and stopping will block the road. If you are early you can wait in the museum car park as the car park will be open for early arrivals and those camping.

See you there.

The Ghost Squadron

For your Sat nav:-

51 Deg 08" 30.64' N
001 Deg 33" 31.07' W