Wolves MAC Events

The place discuss or announce scale soaring events in the UK.
Cliff Evans

Wolves MAC Events

Post by Cliff Evans » 30 Jan 2019, 17:54

July 12th-14th Wolves MAC, John Watkins Tribute, Scale Weekend
This year we are honouring John Watkins for the contribution John has made to our sport and our club. It would be great to see as many of John's models as possible, so if you have one please bring it along.
We will run this year’s event over the weekend as is our usual format.
Camping for the weekend, Friday night barbecue and Saturday evening meal.
The Sunday will be a fly-in with a prize for First and Second winners in Vintage and Modern, chosen by the flyers on the day.
Proof of insurance needed, with a £3 entry fee.
Please contact Phil Smith for details.
Phone 07854 631747.
E-mail philsmith4829@gmail.com

Please Note. The flying of Powered Models of any kind is prohibited on The Long Mynd.

August 30th – September 1st, Wolves MAC, Mick Moore Memorial , Scale Weekend
This year we are honouring Mick Moore for the contributions he made to our sport and club. It would be great to see as many of Mick’s models as possible, so if you have one please bring it along.
We will run this year’s event over the weekend as is our usual format.
Camping for the weekend, Friday night barbecue and Saturday evening meal.
The Sunday will be a fly-in with a prize for First and Second winners in Vintage and Modern, chosen by the flyers on the day.
Proof of insurance needed, with a £3 entry fee.
Please contact Phil Smith for details.
Phone 07854 631747.
E-mail philsmith4829@gmail.com

Please Note. The flying of Powered Models of any kind is prohibited on The Long Mynd.

John Slater

Re: Wolves MAC Events

Post by John Slater » 11 Jul 2019, 08:29

Hi All,
This weekend we are dedicating our `fun fly' to John Watkins as a tribute to his involvement with our club and our sport of scale gliding universally, and so if you can make it please come along.
We are of course beholding to the weather as regards which slope we will be using and so please bear with us, and use the
`Long Mynd Soaring Association' ( LMSA ) web site where you can see all the maps relevant to each wind direction, at this time of writing Saturday would seem to indicate Darnford, the northerly slope, but as I say please check with the LMSA web site, or contact Phil.
The Wolves club are grateful for the LMSA and the National Trust in cooperating with us to run this event.
Happy flying wherever you fly.
Kind Regards
John Slater

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 11 Jul 2019, 08:38

Unfortunately, I am away at one of my wife's events. If john attends, please pass on my regards to him.

terry white

Post by terry white » 13 Jul 2019, 17:11

Hi guys, It was my intention to meet up with you all this week-end for the fly-in, especially as I received a personal invitation from Peter a couple of days ago.I have had many happy week-ends taking part in the Wolves scale comps in the past and have won one or two to boot. It would also have been great to have been part of the tribute you bestowed on John who I have admired for more years than I care to remember. Always the gracious man oozing with knowledge and experience and only too please to share it with us all. However the forecast was not good for your favorite slopes and as you know it is a long way for Lindy and I to come unless the forecast is more positive as to the flying side. Also speaking to Paul Watkins on Thursday he informed me that John was not too well and would possibly not make the presentation. What a bummer, I hope he recovers soon. Lindy and I send him our very best wishes. We needed to make the decision on Thursday evening for a load up and away early Friday morning, but as it was it wasn't to be.
Have a good time at the fly-in if the weather holds. I will be thinking of you and John over the week-end.
Regards to you all. Terry.

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 13 Jul 2019, 23:28

Best wishes to John....

BC

roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins » 14 Jul 2019, 08:08

Pictures from Saturday :
Attachments
20190713_160400.jpg

catwok

Post by catwok » 14 Jul 2019, 10:21

Thanks to the Wolves club for organising the tribute event to my old man. Unfortunately the weather forecast was never going to attract a big crowd, nevertheless we did have some good flying as long as you were prepared to risk launching in the light conditions as the thermals were quite strong. John unfortunately couldn't make it as he is not too good at the moment, but I'm sure he will be out and about as soon as he can. Paul

RobbieB

Post by RobbieB » 15 Jul 2019, 17:14

Yes, and another thank you from me - another good weekend despite the challenging conditions, and we did fly and did some specking out.........

A few photies from the day:
_DSC0009.jpg
_DSC0012.jpg
_DSC0016.jpg
_DSC0017.jpg
_DSC0026.jpg
Pessimist or realist?

...........and the maiden of Roo's K6:

_DSC0018.jpg
_DSC0019.jpg
_DSC0021.jpg
_DSC0022.jpg

John Slater

Post by John Slater » 16 Jul 2019, 08:31

We can never guarantee the weathered we knew that Sunday would be an iffy day but what a great weekend for the camaraderie chat and laughs.
Saturday we flew on Darnford, the north slope but it allowed us to get in some great flights, and plenty of pilots managed some terrific flights,
thanks for your support.
DSC00030.jpg
Johns Jaskolka
IMG_9506.JPG
Pauls K18
DSC00025.jpg
Like father like son, a chip off the old block
DSC00017.jpg
Phil with his Helios

John Slater

Post by John Slater » 16 Jul 2019, 12:53

Apologies to Roo, when typing the caption `Johns Jaskolka' I got distracted and didn't complete it,
It should read Johns Jaskolka now being beautifully flown by Roo.
John