New Aero tow venue

The place discuss or announce scale soaring events in the UK.
SP250

New Aero tow venue

Post by SP250 » 02 Jul 2019, 22:19

Hi all

Just got the agreement for an aero-tow day at a new venue in North Shropshire.

Dates we are looking at are August 4th and if I can persuade the owner, then we may be able to make it a weekend event by having Saturday the 3rd as well. I will post here when that is known.

Now I appreciate that this is fairly short notice, but it would be nice to get a good initial turn out, because if it goes well then there is a strong likelyhood of 3 or 4 weekends next year we can have for Aero-tows / GPS triangle / fly ins etc. which I am happy to organise, now I no longer have the Scale Indoor Nationals to do.

The location is a private air strip, like Milson, and Chris Jones from Milson has been very helpful in speaking on our behalf with a good references.
The place is Sherlowe in Shropshire, very near to High Ercall (google maps ref 52.737785, -2.602407) or Postcode TF6 6LT) and you have to approach it from the High Ercall side as the lane from Cotwall Road (Telford side) is narrow and gated, which are sometimes shut. It should be large enough (although it is no Middle Wallop) as Bob flies his 1:1 Beech Baron Twin in and out of there.

The finance arrangements would be similar to Milson - optional, but say £10 a head into the charity bucket and it will go to the Air ambulance unless the owner wants a different charity - to be advised. I will take advice from Ray Watts & John Greenfield over what should go to the tug pilots for fuel etc.
So please let me know if you are able to make it, as I would like to have an idea of level of support / numbers.
Email j.minchell@btinternet.com

Regards John

Sean Fitzgibbon

Re: New Aero tow venue

Post by Sean Fitzgibbon » 03 Jul 2019, 20:55

Always good to have new places to fly John, well done for securing an initial event!
Count me in and I have no doubt other Newent members will be keen to support the event.

RobbieB

Post by RobbieB » 03 Jul 2019, 21:22

Sounds good John.

catwok

Post by catwok » 04 Jul 2019, 08:09

Looking forward to it John!

roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins » 04 Jul 2019, 09:03

Hi john I have put the 4th in the diary. In case that is when you have it. Looked at the site on Google maps and it looks great. Hopefully will be there. Roo

paulj

Post by paulj » 04 Jul 2019, 17:21

I don't have a suitable model to fly, but I would love to come over and have a look at how it all works. From North Wales, this is more local than most!

Martin Gough

Post by Martin Gough » 04 Jul 2019, 20:45

Put me down for that one sounds fantastic.

simon_t

Post by simon_t » 04 Jul 2019, 23:11

paulj wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 17:21
I don't have a suitable model to fly, but I would love to come over and have a look at how it all works. From North Wales, this is more local than most!
If I am able to get there would be good to catch up after a long time Paul!

Simon T

SP250

Post by SP250 » 04 Jul 2019, 23:38

Thanks for the replies chaps - most encouraging.

Had a meeting with Bob Pooler, the owner, today and we are going to make it a two day event which makes it more viable for those travelling from further afield. So now you can come on Saturday 3rd, or Sunday 4th, or both.

Motorhomes and caravans or tents are all ok. There are flush toilets and a kitchen with water, sink, power to recharge from and an all important fridge to keep the beer cool. We can use the full size hangar to put the gliders in overnight to save de-rigging.

Chris would you please add this to the calender, thanks.

Regards John M

Anthony

Post by Anthony » 05 Jul 2019, 07:36

Hi John, re our phone conversation, Sunday’s out because of holiday, but Saturday is good, hope for nice weather. . Ant.