Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

Milson Airstrip Aerotow Events 2021

The place discuss or announce scale soaring events in the UK.
Ray Watts

Milson Airstrip Aerotow Events 2021

Post by Ray Watts »

In the hope that there may be a vaccine for Covid 19 next year, or that we have found a better way of coming to terms with it safely whilst it is still with us, I have contacted Chris Jones at Milson Airstrip and provisionally agreed the dates for our meetings next year in order to get them in the calendar.

So as per normal, the plan will be for 2 weekends of flying from Friday to Sunday inclusive, on the dates of June 18th to the 20th and September 17th to the 19th 2021.

Anyone wishing to camp is welcome to stay from the Thursday until the Monday, and there is water available and a couple of toilets that can be used on site, but I must point out that there is no Elsan disposal on site due to the site being on a Septic tank and the chemicals we use affecting the bacteria in the tank.

Let's hope that next year is a whole lot better for group flying activities than this year was, and in the mean time stay safe and maybe get some more building in in readiness.

Cheers

Ray and Mandy
Cliff Evans

Re: Milson Airstrip Aerotow Events 2021

Post by Cliff Evans »

Well done Ray and Mandy, You had best start cooking now Mandy!
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

We will be there, would be rude not to :D
simon_t

Post by simon_t »

Looking forward to more flying in 2021 than 2020 dished up (and less landing in trees), and Milson will be on the menu...

Keep Safe Ray & Mandy!

Simon
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Thanks for reminding me Ray to get a move on to contact Bob for some dates for Sherlowe.
Need to check and see how he is getting on as well, since he was isolating having contracted C19 a couple of weeks ago.

John M
catwok

Post by catwok »

Great call, plenty of flying to catch up on.
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

In the diary, fingers crossed.
Bendywings

Post by Bendywings »

Looking forward, Chris G
IMGP2213.JPG
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Hi everyone

Unfortunately I have decided to not run the June event, and for this I do apologise. There are several reasons and it has taken some time to consider what I feel to be the best thing to do, but my decision is to Cancel the June event and still carry on with the September event providing there is not another surge in the Covid situation that prevents it from happening.

My main reasons are two fold.

One is that the date is immediately before the governments target of coming out of the current restrictions (June 21st), which means that on that weekend, it is illegal to have a gathering of more than 30 people in close proximity, and the fine for breaking that rule is £10k for the event organiser. Neither myself or the site owner, Chris Jones, are willing or able to cover that. This might potentially be a situation where we have a group of flyers gathered, and Chris may have family round for tea and then a few locals may turn up to see what the noise is about, and then suddenly not through our doing, we are exceeding the limit. If any of the locals were coming to see what was going on and were not happy with it, we would be an easy target for a fine. It would only require a photograph to prove it. I don't want to restrict numbers by making it an invitational or first come first served basis, and I do not want to have a lock on the gate to stop anyone coming in, plus I don't have the means to control that.

The second main reason, is that from past experience, I cannot guarantee that there will be anyone else turning up as a tug pilot willing to do a reasonable share of the towing with a tug large enough to tow any of the gliders that are there. I hugely appreciate the tug pilots who have turned up in the past, but this is not guaranteed. Normally this doesn't bother me and I am quite willing and happy to tow all day long. However it is possible that this may be the first outing for me with a Tow Plane in 21 months, and to be perfectly honest, I do not know if I would be up to performing on that grand a scale the first time out. All this whilst under the new rules and regulations associated with the Operators numbers and Article 16, where I would also require eyes in the back of my head to make sure everyone was keeping to the correct distances on what is a relatively small site, and operating safely. I do effectively organise and manage the event whilst towing most of the time as well. I am not ready for that yet. I've been working from home for 12 months now and not getting out much, and I think that normality needs to be taken one step at a time.

This will leave you free to go to Weston Park if you wanted to, but bare in mind that it is not Open to day visitors in June according to the website, only weekend campers due to Covid restrictions, probably for the same reason as the rule of 30 etc.

Again, I can only apologise, but normality will resume in time.

Cheers

Ray Watts
It's always calmer indoors :D
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

B******S I had it in the diary to come to this one! Oh well.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk