Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

Buckminster Aerotows 2021

The place discuss or announce scale soaring events in the UK.
john greenfield

Re: Buckminster Aerotows 2021

Post by john greenfield »

Thank you to everyone who attended Buckminster this weekend and made it such a relaxed enjoyable meeting. for those who were put off by the weather forecast, you missed a good weekend. as Simon T said in his earlier post, the lift on Sunday was fantastic and many made long flights.

The BMFA are very happy with the way we run the aerotow meetings and have now asked if we would like to try and run a mid week aerotow meeting later this summer. Given the attendance at my local clubs during the week, there are obviously a lot of people who have time during the week and may like to attend.
If you would be interested in attending a mid week event, probably a 1 day meet as a first trial, please reply on the forum so we can gauge interest. If there is enough interest we will discuss possible dates with the BMFA and firm up when it could happen.

We look forward to reading your replies.

The Ghost Squadron
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Chris Hurst

Post by Chris Hurst »

Hi John

Many thanks, as discussed yesterday I am happy to give a mid week day at Buckminster a go later this year. I suspect a couple of others from my club will too.

Chris
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Unfortunately, midweek would be great but not for one day for those of us in the west of England or Wales.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Hi John,

As discussed yesterday, Mel and I would do a mid week event, keep us posted.
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Hi John

A midweek event would work well for me. Retirement has some perks!

Thanks for a great weekend. Thanks also to Manny for resueing my K8 from the tree. Just as well I had planned to go to the opticians next week..........!

All the best

Mike
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Yes from me for a mid-week event!
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Yes I would do a mid week and would be better for me.
Robcrad

Post by Robcrad »

Hi John,
Would it possible to learn to be towed at an event like this? I have never been towed, but fly slope and power. I will have hopefully finished my 3m Mucha std by the summer.
I would not want to get in the way of people who attend regularly so understand if it not possible.
Regards
Rob
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Rob,
Flying a glider on aerotow is essentially as easy as keeping the wings level.
The glider follows the tug wherever it goes, so very little steering involved.
Just make sure that your tow release is reliable and you can release quickly if need be.
You will need a short tow link with a loop on it to connect to the tug tow line clip. Probably worth having a couple of spares as they sometimes go walkabout.
I was apprehensive about it before my first tow, but as long as the Tuggie is like the GS boys, you will have no trouble.

Peter
simon_t

Post by simon_t »

Robcrad wrote: 25 May 2021, 14:09 Hi John,
Would it possible to learn to be towed at an event like this? I have never been towed, but fly slope and power. I will have hopefully finished my 3m Mucha std by the summer.
I would not want to get in the way of people who attend regularly so understand if it not possible.
Regards
Rob
Of course - we regularly get new folks at these events, there are experienced folks on hand to check the model over, provide a bit of coaching ahead of the first tow, and to stand with you and talk to you during the tow and subsequent flight. This weekend we had two maybe three pilots who had never been to an event. They had a whale of a time, and probably between them put in more flights than the rest of us put together, they were so enjoying it. Just make it make it known to the organisers/tug pilots what your experience level is and they will do the rest to ensure it is as painless as possible.

Simon