Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

South Cerney

The place discuss or announce scale soaring events in the UK.
B Sharp

Re: South Cerney

Post by B Sharp »

Best of luck for this event John. I intended to be there however both of the B&Bs that I booked have now cancelled on me. See you in the Autumn.
Brian.
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Hi All

To say that I am more than a little miffed is the understatement of the year. After nearly 18 months of negotiations, writing risk assessments, sorting out special insurance, and traveling to meetings to set up the South Cerney aerotow meeting, I heard on Friday that the DSO has reviewed their charging structure and now want £561.33 to use the airfield for the weekend. We were taking a bit of a risk with the old Middle Wallop prices but this figure is completely unviable so it is with regret and some anger that I have to announce that the meeting is off and the GS team will not pursue any Defence Estates sites for future meetings.

Sorry to all those who have indicated their support for the event but the costs have killed it.

Cliff
Can you remove it from the calendar please.

The Ghost Squadron
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Really sorry to hear that John!

Thinking both sides of it, Initial thoughts are how does it "cost" them £250 per day to unlock the gates / relock them at the end? but then if its a "wet" event the ground may need some renovation etc... could cost them more than the unlock/lock labour... but feels short sighted on their part... is there really £250 of wear and tear per event per day? Doubt it!

On your side, I understand its not viable to self fund on the (hope) assumption you'll get 25 people @£10 per day, twice in a row... (or permutation there of) + travel and insurance etc other costs.

Rock, hard place!
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

mjcp wrote: 24 May 2021, 12:58 Really sorry to hear that John!

Thinking both sides of it, Initial thoughts are how does it "cost" them £250 per day to unlock the gates / relock them at the end? but then if its a "wet" event the ground may need some renovation etc... could cost them more than the unlock/lock labour... but feels short sighted on their part... is there really £250 of wear and tear per event per day? Doubt it!

On your side, I understand its not viable to self fund on the (hope) assumption you'll get 25 people @£10 per day, twice in a row... (or permutation there of) + travel and insurance etc other costs.

Rock, hard place!
They don't even unlock / lock the gate. We would have to be responsible for doing that after collecting the keys from the guard house and then manning the gate during the day to control access. I did not mention they wanted to charge extra for anyone camping but could not provide any facilities at all, not even access to a water tap.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

... and double frustrating as I did my 1st solo there in a full sized glider too (far too many years ago to admit to) and wanted to see what had changed!

M
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

What a damn shame! We all fully understand your position John and on behalf of SSUK, thank you and the team for your efforts. The military are just being B****y greedy, there is no other excuse for the price hike.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

Its not actually the military who make money out of this. Its the Defence Estates Organisation which from my dealings with them are basically a bunch of civilians who objectives are to frustrate people as much as possible whilst making money. It has been for years that they wanted £180 just for the licence to use an MOD property which, in the case of Middle Wallop wasnt so bad for the 8 days a year we booked. However for a single weekend its still £180. Add to this the costs they want per person attending plus camping fees makes the MOD properties very costly for the occasional use.
harry curzon

Post by harry curzon »

Aw that sucks, I was really looking forward to it. Totally understand your decision John.. DIO pisses off everyone who comes into contact with them.
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

That’s a shame, thanks for all the hard work.
calypso22

Post by calypso22 »

Not sure how many of us realise how much time and effort goes into setting up and organising these events, I didn't, but I'm sure we are all extremely grateful to John and the team at the GS for there dedication to our sport. Chris B and I were all set to come along, nevermind, best of luck next time....any other ideas chaps?
Many thanks
John Harvey