• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Another new member

Just joined the forum? Please introduce yourself here..
StephenB

Another new member

Post by StephenB »

Hello all, I'm a returnee to the aeromedelling scene after twenty years or so in the wilderness pursuing other interests, but the bug has once again well and truly bit and I'm motivated to once again get some building and flying in.

I started building Airfix kits at a very young age and soon gravitated to free flying balsa models from Veron, Keil Kraft and Frog. Most were either rubber powered or gliders and the occasional dalliance in ic powered control line or free flight usually ended very quickly in the model being returned to kit form! Happy days and a wonderful learning experience in what were much more carefree times.

Fast forward a few years and I was bitten by the slope soaring bug, avidly devouring Dave Hughes book and learning to fly in my own mind from the comfort of the sofa. My first non virtual slope soarer was a rudder elevator model called, I think, "Snipe" a balsa/ply/foam kit which I learnt to fly with on the tiny hillside of Bradgate Park in Leicestershire. I then trod the well worn path of Chris Foss Middle Phase and Phase 6 followed by a few plan built slopers before getting heavily in to PSS. Somewhere amongst all this was a Pat Teakle Pik 20.

I'm no longer in the UK and suitable slopes are not as in abundance as they once were so I have gravitated to electric powered flat field flying as my route back in to the hobby, I don't enjoy it as much as slope flying but for now it's a practical way of reacquiring dormant skills.

Of course what I really want to be doing is slope soaring a scale ship, which is why I'm here ..........
StephenB

Re: Another new member

Post by StephenB »

Hello Cliff

Thanks for the welcome, yes I have done a bit of reading on the old Hungarian gliders - they would certanly make for an interesting modelling project but might be a bite more than I can chew at the moment. I have a project in mind for my first scale build but I'll start another thread on that.

I'm in Vas County Hungary which is at the western end bordering Austria, a country that has an abundance of hills but sadly, aside from volcanoes, it's pretty flat around where I live. I intend to widen my search for flyable slopes in to Austria and Slovenia, I wonder if anyone on here has experience of flying slopes at this end of europe?

I believe Hungary has a history of hosting FAI world championships, in both full size and model gliding, at Szeged in the south of the country.