• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Old noobie!

Just joined the forum? Please introduce yourself here..
Gary Binnie

Old noobie!

Post by Gary Binnie »

Hi folks,

I am mostly a flat field F5J flyer but I've dabbled in a few things over the years. I learnt RC on the slope and have a few Multiplex semi-scale gliders (ASW 22/DG 600 etc).

I do enjoy building (more than flying possibly!) and recently bought and collected an incomplete K8 kit direct from Flair, I have added the missing wood stock and might start on it later this year. It will match the Tiger Moth I built in 1997!

I remembered that I had a Cliff Charlesworth Mu13 plan in the loft and would like to swap it for his K18 plan, I will place the advert in a bit.

Cheers

Gary
GeeW

Re: Old noobie!

Post by GeeW »

Welcome Gary
I wondered how long it would be before you arrived on this site?

Best Regards

Gordon W
Gary Binnie

Post by Gary Binnie »

Hi Gordon,

It's a small world and getting smaller!
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Gary, welcome to the Site. I am building the Charlesworth MU13 on the build blog. Having flown one I would recommend it over the K18 . It is a big build if you like building. Regards John.
Gary Binnie

Post by Gary Binnie »

I do like building but am glad of laser and die cut parts.

Do they fly differently, the Mu and the 18?

I turned down a go in a full size Mu13, can't remember why exactly. I did have a go in the same owner's Grunau Baby and got told off for almost not making it back to the airfield. Tug pilot took me downwind despite strict instructions to do the opposite.

I have fond memories of flying two K18s, did my silver distance in one.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Are you interested in a 1:3 scale ASK-18 as there is a free plan available. It comes with the option of a 4 part wing
Gary Binnie

Post by Gary Binnie »

Cheers, I've seen that as well

A bit too big really, I have a model storage problem as it is!

A quarter scale version of that would be very nice.

I've seen a few German K18 kits with glass fuselages and foam wings.

Not in a rush, got to build the Flair K8 first.

Gary
Gary Binnie

Post by Gary Binnie »

My dad would not approve! I still have his X-acto balsa stripper.

Flair are in the process of switching over from die-cut to laser, the kit I have has die-cut fuselage formers but laser cut ribs and tailplane cores.

There is nothing holding the parts to the sheet except masking tape, luckily the part numbers have been burnt in.
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Gary, to answer your question the MU13 and K18 do fly quite differently at quarter scale. The MU13 flies slower with much more wing area. The K18 has "longer legs" and if you like the full size that would be your model I guess. I have happy memories of the K6e especially, and one day will build a model. As a matter of interest Cliff Charlesworth designs are very light with his K8 coming out 500 to 600 grams lighter than the Flair model. Regards John.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

hi and welcome I see that you live in northamptonshire I live there also .