• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Saying Hi

Just joined the forum? Please introduce yourself here..
Scarecrow

Saying Hi

Post by Scarecrow »

New member just logging in to say hi.

I last flew RC aircraft some 20+ years ago, but drifted away from the hobby when my club lost it's amazing flying field. Whilst the club moved on and found themselves somewhere else to fly, I didn't follow them, and I can't believe how much time has passed between then and now.

With more and more modellers now posting on the internet, viewing videos on Youtube of people like John Woodfield soaring his beautiful gliders above the cliffs in Cornwall has rekindled my interest, and I am now taking my first steps after such a break to re-learn and catch up on all the advancements the hobby has enjoyed since I last flew.

First step was to buy a new radio. I know that people do still use 35mHz, but the 2.4 gear just opens up so many more possibilities. Digging around in the loft I was able to resurrect my old Middle Phase, and after a good check over and a minor bit of fettling, a visit to my local slope showed that my fingers and thumbs still knew what to do to keep a glider airbourne.

Prior to taking up flying rc models all those years ago, I used to fly full size gliders, and now it is that direction that I would like to take my model flying; a scale model of a modern glass ship. Whilst I don't have the funds or transport to accommodate one of the really big models (I can't believe the cost of the really big ships, I only paid £10,000 for a full size one!), something around a 3m or possibly 4m wingspan should be manageable.

Hopefully this forum will be a continuing source of inspiration, and I look forward to being a part of it.

Derek
Peter Balcombe

Re: Saying Hi

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi Derek & welcome to the forum.
A lot of modellers on this forum build woodies, but there are several G/F fuselage based short kits of 3 to 5m span in the Pat Teakle Sailplanes range (Dart, PIK20, Vega, ASW17, ASW20, ASW22, HP18 etc.).
Check out the web page or contact Cliff Evans.
You can also sometimes pick up unstarted kits/used models on the web or from other forum members.
Peter
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

Thanks Peter. A Pik20 would be nice, as that's the glider I have done many flights in.
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Only recently acquired my PT PIK20, but its my new fav!

https://youtu.be/QcX_TCrO2TM

M
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

Derek, are you happy to let us know where you are located? - There maybe someone local who can help.