• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Just joined - John Wighton

Just joined the forum? Please introduce yourself here..
John Wighton

Just joined - John Wighton

Post by John Wighton »

Hello,

I am based in Essex and have flown FF since about 1970 and RC since 1972. I was a CIMA member (famous for the Canvey Sea Soar) and flew Open and 100S comps in the 70s and 80s. I took up F3A in the 90s and various other things since. I fly full size (gliders back in the early 70s) and have a trigear Europa which is great fun. I am a member of Colchester and Osprey clubs but regard myself primarily as a BMFA Country member. BMFA Examiner and Power B.

Current RC main interest is starting GPS Triangle Racing (Sport class) and also learning to possibly graduate to the Scale class (pending lottery win). This overlaps with the UAS work we do, looking at the autonomous operation of drones for various civil, environmental and MIL usage. Hence the telemetry and data logging of the GPS class machines is interesting.

My day job is designing, analysing and doing certification work on full-size aircraft, drones/UAS and large models. There is now a convenient blurring between RC model sand commercial drone/aircraft types.

My hangar is currently quite busy. We have a Valenta Chilli, Alpina Carbotec, Alpina Magic, several Storks (mk4, mk6), 3 Erasors (e and F3J), a TOBA F3F machine, Pilatus B4 (I was Head of Stress and also acting Head of Structures at Pilatus some years ago). Etc, etc.

Quite a few electric powered aircraft types and a gas-powered Pitts (x2).

The B4 needed sorting when I got it - incidence delta LH to RH plus some bits that were no robust on the brakes.

If anyone has a 6m modern scale type for sale (moulded) I might be interested in buying. Ideally with an SLS or retractable pod - as I am Essex based with reduced opportunity to fly off the slope.
Cliff Evans

Re: Just joined - John Wighton

Post by Cliff Evans »

Welcome John.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
john greenfield

Re: Just joined - John Wighton

Post by john greenfield »

Welcome to SSUK John

I look forward to meeting you in person at the GPS Training weekend at Buckminster 24/25 April.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)