• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

At last, an aerotow day happened

BrianF

At last, an aerotow day happened

Post by BrianF »

Hi, had our first aerotow for 2021 yesterday. COVID lockdowns and high temps curtailed our last two planned gatherings. It was hot though, while the actual temperature may have been more than the forecast of 33degC, the apparent temp seemed much higher (apparent temp can be up to 8degC more than actual). Most of us commented about the heat, a few of us ran out of water. My phone wouldn't work as it said it was overheated.
The wind however was gentle and strong inflows easily indicated the continuous strong thermal activity which meant many long high flights.

Despite the heat, it was one of our better turnouts, 14 attendees and we may end up with a couple more pilots from it. One young guy who is keen on all things sailplane and another Tug pilot with some towing experience.

Jilles got to maiden aerotow his newly finished hybrid K 8 (it has flown under its own power). J Dac had his trusty Ka6 but a broken aileron horn ended its flying, he had a moldy ASW27(?) to fly though. JD has had a few issues with his Discus since its first flight, it is flying much, much better now and I could see his increased confidence while he flew it. Nigel had his big blue and white Habicht, Karl and Ken had molded ASG29s, Evan flew his gorgeous ASW22. Todd flew his ASW27, another of our newer aerotow pilots, who is now very comfortable flying scale models. Mark and Spaino flew J models in our down times and assisted and we had three keen visitors. Dean, a visitor, bought out a Multiplex LS3, it will aerotow soon after some mods. There was quite a lot of model talk during the course of the day, if COVID was carried on words, we would all be infected.

I have to admit, I've been struggling to get "back on my feet" after my ankle fusion surgery. While I am walking without a stick, which was considered likely by my surgeon, I have low resilience, so I can't walk or stand for very long. Thank you to everyone who helped me yesterday, I appreciate it greatly. I am now paying for that day out though!

I had a few models to fly but only flew the MHM Salto, I bought the model from its builder, I believe it has a Ritz 2 airfoil. I note the model has been re-released using a HN section by www.fliegerlandshop.de. It has taken a while to sort out and was/is a very tricky model to thermal. It does not like to fly slowly at all, being very prone to tip stall and flick. I have been getting more comfortable doing aerobatics with it and tested its wing strength harshly yesterday. Klaus build it well. While it will tumble, tail slide and spin inverted, a bit more V-tail tweaking is needed. Kris and I did a low circuit on tow before a steep climb out on one flight, that was fun. Want to try rolling as well next time Kris?

Kris and Evan did all the towing duties, both had some engine issues to begin with, which delayed towing, eventually they got going and provided many reliable tows. I had my Decathlon there, but am not up to towing again yet.

The heat meant the flying was in bursts of activity followed by some cooling off under the shelter. Flying continued until after 3pm.

I didn't take any footage yesterday, so no videos unfortunately.
Next towing day, Saturday 6th Mar, hopefully with cooler weather.

Regards
Brian
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
john greenfield

Re: At last, an aerotow day happened

Post by john greenfield »

Thanks for the report Brian. It is nice to read that at least someone is getting some flying in.
Hope your ankle continues to improve but not being able to stand for long periods is a poor excuse for not being able to find any thermals :lol: :lol: :lol: .
AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
BrianF

Re: At last, an aerotow day happened

Post by BrianF »

Thanks John, it was the 3rd attempt to fly an event in 3 months.
I don't need to find thermals, they just present themselves and I react accordingly, standing or seated. Not even a skill, just a natural ability :mrgreen:
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net