• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

SEQSA March Aerotow report

BrianF

SEQSA March Aerotow report

Post by BrianF »

After COVID lockdowns and extreme weather, worked together to stop us flying, this one was jeopardised by a tropical cyclone up the coast. However the COVID and weather gods smiled on us. The March report follows.

Saturday's flying went well, not a large group but quite a lot of relaxed flying in great conditions.
The wind was breezy but not too strong and there was lots of strong thermal activity.
Right at the end of the day, at 3:30pm as we packed up, it rained.
Some great flights from David Morgan and his immaculate Skylark, John Dacombe and Jilles and their usual fleets, JD had his Discus, Todd didn't have room for his scaley as he bought out equipment for some field work, but did maiden a new F5J model. As usual, thank you Kris for many expert tows with your Extra, also Karl had his Yak on hand and did tows when Kris had a break. That horse of a model is getting tweaked better as a tug at each outing. As usual everybody helped each other out.

I got my 4.2m Blanik flying again and pushed it pretty hard, it spent a lot of time tumbling through the sky (intentionally) and I managed to get into some good thermals. Tried inverted thermaling but the lift wasn't that strong. It isn't that easy to thermal right way up either, but it goes where its pointed. Its the most flying I've done in the many months since my second ankle fusion surgery. Even though I'm pretty sore today it is the first day out I've really enjoyed for ages. Two memorable flights were a low level high speed circuit behind Kris and I did a couple of rolls. I did some increasingly steep tows with Karl behind his 170cc Yak. The first tow was standard, the second was 60 degrees, the last tow was 80deg going to 90 then pushing over to release the 11kg model. Got high fast. You can see these flights in the video link below.

For the tug pilots there are engine run up posts in front of the shelter now.

I didn't get much video from the ground but did get a lot of footage from the Blanik.
It will give you a good idea of the weather conditions.

Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net